Re: Diesel timing question

Hi

I have played with the pump timing and found that if you advance it too much you will know it. It will clatter very loudly even at idle. I backed mine off a bit from that but it runs better than when it wall set up by a mechanic with the dial indicator.

stan

Jim wrote:

Some diesel timing and injection pump questions.. > My NA diesel has the symptoms of retarded injection timing. (smoke, > miss when cold, etc.). Even when the engine is warm to the touch, I > have to set the cold start in order to keep it from smoking/misfiring. > But it will start right up ok. The plunger lift on the pump is set > higher than the max. spec. already, there isn't much more I can turn > it (the pump) to advance the timing. The internal advance mechanism > inside the pump is working properly. > Could the pump be worn so much that the plunger has to move really far > before it starts injecting fuel? > What happens if the timing is advanced too far? I don't want to burn > up the engine, it has really good compression and doesn't use any oil. > But I'm afraid to advance the pump timing any more. I won't be able to > rebuild the pump or get a used one for a while, but the smoking is > driving me nuts!
Reply to
Stanley Baer

I'll second that... the injection pump on my '84 Rabbit was rebuilt and re-installed by a diesel shop before I bought it. It clattered real loud at idle and the cold start knob had little effect on the starting. I backed the timing off a bit and now it's much quieter.

-- Tony Kimmell

'96 Chevy C-1500 pickup '84 VW Rabbit diesel '81 VW Rabbit diesel

Reply to
Tony Kimmell