Re: Dripping Oil

Ever hear about this? Of course. The oil drip can be caused by spillage onto your engine or other car components when the mechanic changed your oil. That is usually the reason, and is the result of sloppy work. However, all it would take to solve that problem is to wipe the spilled oil off of your car components. Another, more serious, reason is that the oil filter was not properly installed. It may have been cross-threaded when the mechanic tried to install it. When this occurs, the oil filter can come completely loose from the engine, causing all of your oil to pour out, and could ruin your engine - which will seize up if it runs very long (just a minute or two) without oil.

On the other hand, the oil drip could be from some other source, such as your transmission. However, the fact that you had no oil drip UNTIL you had your oil changed makes me doubt this.

In any case, have the cause checked out by someone you can trust. Don't take the word of the mechanic who changed your oil.

Reply to
Papa

Anyone who things that a drip from a transaxle not a major problem is never going to see my car again. Running that dry can be a very expensive event.

May I guess you want to a quick lube place for an oil change. The only change you should do at a quick lube place is to never go there again, even for directions.

Chances are they just spilled some oil and it may have spilled onto the transaxle. It is also possible that they did not properly tighten down the oil filter or plug etc. This could be serious. If possible I would suggest finding someone to check those possibilities out for you, or even buy a how to book and learn to do it yourself. You might find a local independent mechanic to check it for you and plan on bringing your car to him for service from now on. Ask your friends and neighbors for suggestions of a good mechanic.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If you visited one of them quickie places then you may have a striped oil drain plug.

Reply to
Woodchuck

the filter could have a break in it. i had that problem when i used a tool to install an oil filter on my truck. since you noticed it after your oil change, i bet it has to do with the filter. as previously noted, wipe down the filter, start it up, then lay underneath and just watch for it.

Reply to
italian_72

My 95 Cabrio has a minor (I mean nearly nonexistent) leak; mine was closer to a nickel v. your quarter sized one. Turns out it's the gasket on the oil pan. It'll get replaced here in a couple weeks.

--S. John loves his car.

Reply to
S John M-M