Re: Report: UAW hopeful it can unionize VW's Chattanooga plant

The United Auto Workers has been trying for the past 30 years to unionize

> plants operated by foreign automakers in the South, but to date, there has > been absolutely zero success. There are many reasons the UAW has > consistently failed over time, including allegations of intimidation and > fear tactics from transplant management. Some foreign automakers won't > even hire former union employees for fear that the new hire could help > organize the facility. And then there is the fact that unions aren't ne... > Read More: >

Well unions won't be happy untill they have destroyed ALL of America's businesses, even VW!

Reply to
Peter2

Yeah, but WITHOUT unions, we wouldn't have the benifits we have today, companies would be running rampant across the workers.

Reply to
LM

Benefits like loss of employment? Benefits like mostly imported from China junk? Benefits like a bloated government that is also very unionized? Benefits like... Well, you do get the picture, right? Unions are destroying this country, have long outlived their usefulness and are not acceptable in most locations.

Reply to
Peter2

So, if I am understanding what you are saying, the unions drove companies to relocate in cheaper countries, not the greed of the companies and their management wanting bigger bonuses??? Unions also make people buy China junk instead of buying American made goods? I believe "Be Americam, Buy American" came from unions. I also believe wages, insurance, and other benefits are fought for tooth and nail by unions, fighting management trying to take it all away.

Reply to
LM

Before unions, labor conditions in America were frequently abysmal. If unions go away, they will return to that state, unless there are strong laws governing working conditions, and the notion of government intervention to that degree scares the hell out of me. We should be trying to bring the world to our level, not dragging our workforce down to that of China or similar countries. And there is no question that the union movement was a direct result of the abuse that took place right here in the good old USA. You could look it up.

Reply to
MG

plants operated by foreign automakers in the South, but to date, there has been absolutely zero success. There are many reasons the UAW has consistently failed over time, including allegations of intimidation and fear tactics from transplant management. Some foreign automakers won't even hire former union employees for fear that the new hire could help organize the facility. And then there is the fact that unions aren't ne...

Hmmm... If workers for a particular place want to unionize of their own accord then fine. That should be their right. But I object to a union coming to an employer in a deliberate attempt to expand their footprint just for their own sake. Any union that starts acting more in the interest of self-preservation than the benefit of its members has become just as corrupt as the corporations it was created to keep in check.

In addition to believing that any worker should be allowed to join a union without penalty, no one should be forced to join a union in order to get a particular job. There's nothing inherently wrong with a mixed shop despite what unions would have you believe.

...Sean.

Reply to
Sean

So you're ok with letting the non union member being harassed by management without representation. Or being forced to do unsafe work union members don't have too. Then fired. As soon as something goes wrong the non union members cry for union representation.

Yup, yup, yup. you're as silly as your post.

Reply to
DogDiesel

When the alternative is nobody being protected by union membership yes. Being forced to join a union is evil, just as bad as the evil things that some managers do.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan