Re: VW Oil Filters, PureOne

My persoanl experince is this. I have used Fram filters for 20 years. My truck has over 250,000 miles on it. My Rabbit has almost 290,000 miles on it. My last rabbit had over 200,000 miles on it. My other truck had over 200,000 miles. None of the engines have had any oil related failures. I have had the heads off all the engines for valve stem seal replacement. The trucks still had crosshatch in them when they had over 100,000 miles. One head was removed because the engine was old but osrt of low mileage and was using too much oil. Valve stem seals fixed that as the cylindrs looked great. The other head was removed because I bunged up a spark plug thread. The Rabbit engines were worked on because of oil consumption. Once again valve stem seals helped. Now here is the maybe on both vw engines. On the 1980 the cylinders had scratches up and down the bore. One of two reasons. Someone sucked some crap into a few cylinders or someone ran the engine low and scored the cylinder. I bought that car used with 50,000 miles and supposedly the only thing done to the car was a clutch job. Someone who knows how to drive should get 100,000 or more miles off of a clutch. Those years wer notorious for bad valve stem seals and the related engine damage from running the oil low. The other VW engien was an 1984 that sat in a junkyard after being stripped of the interior, the hood and the gas cap. It had the wierdest corrosion in 2 of the cylinders. It looks like water sat in the cylinders and pitted them.

On my new VW I change the oil as per the owners manual every 10,000 miles. I ordered a 6 pack of oil filters from Potterman. I ordered a case of Delvac 1 from AVLubes. Now I don't have to worry about shopping for filters for another year and a half. I will stiull use the Fram in my older cars as I see no filter problems. I have seen the website pictures of Fram filters and they do indeed look like a bunch of junk.

Bruce wrote:

The general concensus I've found is that FRAM blows. That being said, a >local store is running a special on PureOne oil filters. I've never heard >anything about them. Think they're ok? Or should I stick to the OEM. > >Opinions? > > >BTW, '94 VW Jetta 4cyl gas--not diesel

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

How much are the PureOne filters like $3.99US, and what is price of the OEM filters? Maybe you should buy a case of MANN filters or OEM filters.

I have never had a bad Fram, but after hearing some stories about them, I don't want to risk using them nor any of the others that are considered cheap/bad by others! :-) later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

I bought a case of A2 and A3 filters from

it was cheaper (and easier) than buying Bosch at Autozone. I can't remember the price. Don't forget to buy some oil plug gaskets too.

Reply to
Chris Pflieger

Mann filters can be found at multiple places, including the dealer (they *are* OEM filters), foreign autoparts stores, or at websites such as

oil change stuff directly, if I remembered correctly and you saida 2.0L 8v A3). $53 for ten filters or $5.75 each.

Reply to
Kevin 'Sparty' Broderick

A lot of people like to knock Fram. I will not argue that they are the best. However they are good enough. There comes the point where better is not material. You will be much better off changing the oil and filter as recommended and using Fram than changing it a little less often with the best filter out there.

You can prove that distilled filtered water may be more pure, but do you really need it to water the grass. Same thing. Fram meets or exceeds the specifications, do you really think you NEED to greatly beat all the specifications?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

True, but buying Mann or OEM filters give you that 'holier than thou' sense of confidence I deem so necessary. Not that my cars are anything to brag about...

Reply to
Chris Pflieger

Yep, Mann or Mahle.

TBerk

Reply to
T Berk

But Fram doesn't meet or exceed the specifications in all cases.

For years, Fram listed the PH2870A as their recommendation for the A1 and A2 chassis VWs. That filter doesn't have an anti-drainback valve which the OEM filter has. Fram's engineers apparently decided that Volkswagen's engineers were over-engineering their filter requirements. Fram's engineers may know filters, but do they know the requirements of a VW engine better than Volkswagen's engineers?

Now, for an even more philosophical question...The oil change industry in this country (including oil companies, filter companies, and quick lube companies) still promotes the idea of changing oil every 3,000 miles. This flies in the face of the recommendations from several car manufacturers that the oil change interval on new cars can be 5,000 or even 10,000 miles. Again, who is right? The oil change industry or the car manufacturer?

Given that Fram, as a filter manufacturer, is part of the oil change industry, they want you to change your filter more often. And, as long as they are convincing you to exceed the car manufacturer's change interval recommendations, then is it possible that they can get away with manufacturing an inferior product knowing that they are telling you to change the filter more often than you should?

Bob...

Reply to
Robert L. Burns

I've always used Fram since I bought a '84 GTI (new in 1984). It now has

325,000 miles and engine compression is still within +/-5 Lbs of when it was new. I have had no engine related lubrication problems. Although I have always used Mobil 1.

--Vic

Reply to
Victor Silva