Re: VW seems to have lost it's way in the US

That's right. And if I'm spending the money, then I want to get what I

*want*, not what some beancounter thinks I *need*.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

I live where you do, and have been driving diesels (48hp and now 52hp) since the late 70's and a lack of power really isn't an issue, even on those short parkway ramps. I think the whole horsepower war is silly. No one needs 200+ horsepower in a mid-size car. Sure, having it can be fun, but it isn't a necessity. We are all a bunch of sheep for the marketers and listen too much to heavy footed writers in car magazines. The latter seem to judge every car in a manner totally different from the way it will be used in the real world. If someone says they "like" a lot of horsepower...go have fun, but don't tell me it is essential. (Not that you said this Mike Smith...I am not picking on you or your words...just tossing in my opinions...I don't want you running me off the parkway!!)

Just my opinion.

Reply to
Tony Bad

Snip

I agree with this 100%. I traded a 2002 Jetta GLS with triptronic for a 2003 Jetta GLS TDI with 5 speed, manual trans. Since the trade I have never been as happy with a car.

I did not like the triptronic transmission at all because of the "wrong" shift points it selected. The 1.8T is an awesome engine when combined with a manual transmission. I know this because I recently got one as a loaner from a local VW dealership. It was so much quicker than my old one with the auto.

The TDI is the most balanced car I have ever driven. The power is just right.

Reply to
Numan

Those kind of on ramps scare me. The few times I have had to deal with them I just wait. But maybe where I experienced those ramps the traffic was lighter. On the other hand big trucks somehow manage to get on those ramps don't they? Of course the sight of 40,000 lbs of truck earns a little caution from those maniacal car drivers.

How does that work floor>Rob Guenther wrote:

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Porsche is running an ad for the Cayenne Turbo at the moment that says something to the effect of "Does anyone really need 450 Horsepower to pick up diapers? Ever run out of diapers?" Needing it and wanting it are different things. If driving 40-60Hp diesels works for you, that's fine. But that isn't the trend auto makers are seeing, and it's obviously not where they're going. You're arguing something completely different from what I'm talking about, and I'm not sure why. My criticism of VW had nothing to do with providing people with the things they need, it had to do with providing the things people *want*.

I don't think anyone here is calling it "essential". What I've been saying is that it's what people are asking for, and you don't get by in business by telling the consumer "no". BTW, I read today that the next Passat isn't due till' Fall of 2005...

Reply to
Steve Grauman

The essence of my point. Thanks Mike.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

No, these are no-commercial-vehicles parkways. (Once upon a time, not even SUVs were allowed on the parkways, but that has since changed.) They were built in the '20s and '30s to connect the state parks that were being established on Long Island at the time, and were expressly intended to be free of commercial traffic. They were also designed for the cars of that day, and the speeds they were capable of; the speed limit was originally 40 mph, and some of the shortest entrance lanes are no more than a couple of car lengths (and some of the exit lanes are that short too!).

If I turn off the traction control I can spin the tires off the line, sure, but that's not too hard for a front-wheel-drive car anyway.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

On what planet? If my wants represented only 5% of the market how do you explain the 240Hp Accord, 260Hp Pontiac Grand Prix, 260Hp Altima/Maxima,

260/280Hp G35, 230Hp Camry SE, 240Hp Galant, etc... The people want power! Join the real world bud, and look at what's coming out. You think automakers are pushing toward 300Hp in FAMILY SEDANS because most people are asking for basic transportation?
Reply to
Steve Grauman