Re: Who wanted to know- raising A3 idle?

Woodchuck... It was this guy:

snipped-for-privacy@wideopenwest.com

Ok, so here's the problem; My IAV doesn't compensate for load when I turn on the A/C. It just goes from 840rpm down to 640 and stays there. Same thing with the A/T. Put it in drive and it drops to 640 and stays there. I cleaned the valve, also quick checked it by pulling off the coolant temp sensor harness and the engine indeed surged and returned to normal. I'm trying to determine where the communication breakdown is, but I thought I'd ask the general question to see if anyone had any experience with this exact problem. Thanks

Tim

Who wanted to know- raising A3 idle? Can't find the post. > >
Reply to
Peter Cressman

That was my post. I'm down to the computer, and the big problem I'm having is that I've tried another computer (wrong code...AA instead of AH), so I can't get my mind off the fact that the test may be flawed due to the fact that I didn't try a computer with the same code. Any questions as to what I've done can be answered by the post I made last night:

95 jetta, w/auto, ABA

After the car warms up, putting it in gear makes the rpms drop to 680 and stay there! Same with air conditioning. You turn on the air and the rpms drop and don't come back up. The thing is, when it's cold the Idle air control works exactly as it should. Only after the water temp passes 72c do the rpms turn to crud. I've run every test I can find and have even come down to that humiliating ritual of swapping parts. The only info I can find in print on this problem is on Alldata. The trans troubleshooting section says if you have this condition that the ECM is bad. I swapped computers with my other 95 Jetta and it displayed the same exact problem. The only thing is, the computer didn't have the exact same code. It was an AA and the one with the problem is an AH. Could it be possible that it's still the computer and I need to get one with the same code? I find it hard to believe that it would have the same problem, PLUS I put the computer from the trouble car into the donor car and it ran normally. Any help is appreciated.

Tim

Reply to
Mr Jones

This info is for 96 and up A3's so it may not work for your car. With ross-tech enter:

01-engine 11-log in enter 1283 10-adapt 01 block

There should be a number there that is set to 128(default). You can change this from 124 to 132 to lower or raise the idle Each number you change by one will raise or lower the idle about 10rpm. Like I said this may not be for your car...

Reply to
Woodchuck

Besides the model year, is this information also for manuals? I was wondering if this was more of an automagic problem. And, does this raise the idle only during AC operation if manual? More of a slush box idle adjust methinks...

Reply to
Peter Parker

OK, well this morning I decided to pull the coolant temp sensor and the intake sensor and see how that went. After it was definitely warm, the rpm's did not drop with the air or the drive selection. As soon as I plug EITHER sensor in, the idle drops. I looked to see what these two sensors have in common and they share the (sensor ground) in the MFI harness. But damned if I can find the point of the ground. Any help with that would be great.

Tim

Reply to
Mr Jones

Here's a thought, bypass the actual ground with trailer light splicers, you know the 2 wires go into the plastic, one goes through and one doesn't. Then you use pliers to clamp down on the metal to splice into the wire. Run one wire to ground and splice through it for both wires.

Reply to
Mustangbrad

Yeah, that's the main ground bus, but I'm talking about the sensor ground that is somewhere in the main harness. It could be anywhere as far as I know. In the wiring diagrams, it doesn't give an exact location (i.e. main bus), it just says "ground connection in MFI wiring harness".

Tim

Reply to
Mr Jones

Good idea but don't use the splicers, to much a chance for resistance and corrosion in time.

Reply to
Woodchuck

If I understand the problem correctly, why not simply tap into the sensor wire at the sensor and run a new ground wire to the closest real grounding source?

Bill

Reply to
William Maslin