Rear Bearing Installation

I'm at it again. I'm changing the rear bearings on my '87 VW GTI. Any tips on the best way to press the inner bearing race into the rotors in the absence of a hydraulic press and the right size press tool? I usually use a socket with a bolt/washer/nut in these situations, but I'm having trouble finding a socket that has the right diameter to match the thin edge of the race. If it doesn't match closely, I'm afraid I will damage the race or bearing seat during the process. Would it be okay to put the bearing in the race and press the whole thing in together? This would give me the larger area of the bearing face to press against. Will I damage anything if I do this? Any recommendations or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Kent

I found a fender washer at Home Depot that matched my rear bearings.

I was replacing my disk+hubs too, and I only realized later that I could have had them pressed together before shipment for a reasonable fee.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Ah yes, Home Depot. One of my favorite sources of VW "specialty tools" at budget prices. I'll check out the fender washer idea. Thanks.

Reply to
Kent

Never had a need to use a hydraulic press. For years, before the fancy tools came alomg... all I used was a brass drift punch.

Reply to
Woodchuck

My dad taught me to use the old races to hammer the new ones in. Just hit the old one with a sander/grinder around the edge fist to make sure it doesn't get stuck. ________ |/ \| < old one |\______/| < new one

Reply to
Johann Koenig

Easier than that, just cut a slot in the old race with your cutoff tool. That will allow it to contract slightly, like a piston ring. Still a tight fit but will come out easily with a brass drift and a hammer.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Never thought of this, but I like it. Especially the fancy illustration. Thanks!

Reply to
Kent

Nice...you guys are good.

Reply to
Kent

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

I normally just use the old bearing race on the new bearing face tap real gently and keep turning the bearing. there are arguments that say you will damage the bearing face, but this has never happened to me kinda depends how hard you tap

Reply to
RipVanWinkle

Would it be okay to put the bearing in the

NO.

Place the old race on top of the new one, after first lightly tapping the new race slightly into place with a plastic hammer or similar tool.

Then strike the old race while holding it in position atop the new race, being sure to strike and then move the hammer to a position 180 degrees from the first strike.

Just keep tapping the new race until it "seats". You'll be able to tell when it is seated because the noise will change.

This is easy, and once you do it you'll see that.

Reply to
EC

Thanks to everyone for the useful advice. Sounds like an easier job than I thought.

Reply to
Kent