Rear Door Lock Stuck on 92 Golf

I've got this 92 Golf that has got a sticky problem. One of the rear door handle "triggers" broke off earlier this year. No problem I thought, so I got another one, and decided to change it the other day. But for some reason, the door is now locked, and I suspect that the whole thing has seized internally since it cannot be unlocked. The problem I've now got is that since I can't open the door anymore, I can't get to the lock mechanism, nor can I take the door panel off to try something from the inside. Does anybody have a special trick to get around all of this?

Thanks

Phil

Reply to
Philippe Lafleur

You might have to break off the rest of that door handle, use some rust penetrant and free up the latch levers that are probably stuck due to corrosion. Remove the door handle trim and that little screw in the front hidden by that trim. I also cut the handle to facilitate breaking all of the handle pieces from the door. This seems to be the quickest way for me to replace handle and free up the latch.

I am open to other suggestions too! :-)

dave

I recently had the same problem on one of my VWs.

I got around it by pulling off the outside handle and was able to open the door by fishing around in there.

Reply to
Dave

If the child safety lock is engaged on the door, that might be the reason it's not opening from the inside.

When the right rear handle on my Jetta broke I was able to get a screwdriver in there and get what was left of the trigger to release. Now I just have to find a good source for the door handle...

__

Geff King * snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lonestar.org *

Geff King