Rear ended...

Well... my son got rear ended today in our 86 GTI no real visable damage except for the bumper pushed in... got a estimate (other guy has no insurance) and it was $1,679!!!!

The Buick that hit him was in much worse shape...

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

I got hit from behind by a cop once. I was driving a Mazda 626. He told me to send him the bill. It turned out that the total repair cost was $7.50 for a couple of deformed foam blocks. I did not bother sending the bill. It is good to know that not all small bumps end up expensive. Sorry to hear about the cost of yours.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

No insurance. $1679 is a total rip. You are getting shafted at least half the price. I don't see any major damage. Buy a body repair hammer tool kit and fix it yourself.

Reply to
Peter Parker

The bumper itself shouldn't be more than $200-300 for the part and it should bolt right up.

The rear body panel is partially accessible through the trunk. you might be able to get in there and push/bang some of that out.

The worst part though with an A2 is look at the rear 1/4 panel and look down the side of it for any buckling. A2s that are rear ended seem to buckle here fairly easily, esp. if you're at the point where the bumper is pushed in like it is. If there's buckling of the 1/4 panel, now you're into major $$$.

Reply to
Matt B.

I see you've got body damange too.

I got rear ended by a Mack truck in my '84 Scirocco. The guy was barely moving, hit me and bounced me forward about six feet, then hit me again, and bounced forwared another three or four feet. No visible body damage, but the estimate for the bumper and the bent bumper shock mount in in the car (the left one twisted) came to over $1000, and this was eight to ten years ago.

What kind of a Buick? I'm assuming something more or less modern.

I was in a Volvo years ago that got totaled by a strike from big 'ol Detroit iron. Their car only had a bent bumper. The Volvo had it's "B" pillar pushed in two or three inches.

- Bill

Reply to
William J. Leary Jr.

Sounds like the volvo was hit on the side? If so, doesn't surprise me. The side of a car being hit by the front of any other car, Detroit or otherwise, isn't going to fare very well.

Reply to
Matt B.

:>

: I see you've got body damange too.

: I got rear ended by a Mack truck in my '84 Scirocco. The guy was barely : moving, hit me and bounced me forward about six feet, then hit me again, and : bounced forwared another three or four feet. No visible body damage, but the : estimate for the bumper and the bent bumper shock mount in in the car (the left : one twisted) came to over $1000, and this was eight to ten years ago.

:> The Buick that hit him was in much worse shape...

: What kind of a Buick? I'm assuming something more or less modern.

: I was in a Volvo years ago that got totaled by a strike from big 'ol Detroit : iron. Their car only had a bent bumper. The Volvo had it's "B" pillar pushed : in two or three inches.

: - Bill

Buick LeSabre I think...

Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Yes.

I was surprised at the time. I've seen too many hits since then to be all that surprised. I got my '87 Scirocco hit just behind the B pillar by a Toyota something (similar to a Celica). They got a scratched up bumper. I got my car totaled. This time, though, it still runs and moves pretty good, but the side is bent in, and the top of the left rear strut has move about an inch or so.

She actually backed into traffic and hit me. I was doing about 30 at the time. But your point is still valid.

Usually. In an angle strike anyway. For the very few actual T-bone broadsides I've seen, the other car comes up pretty bad if it's smaller, but seems to survive a lot better if it's bigger and older.

- Bill

Reply to
William J. Leary Jr.

OK, that's more like what I'd have expected. I realize I inverted your description and was thinking you'd said he didnt' take much damage. I see you actually said it the other way around. Sorry about that... but thanks for the pic anyway.

- Bill

Reply to
William J. Leary Jr.

Oh yeah. Back for front doesn't matter really no matter how you get t-boned. If you get t-boned, lots of damage is typical b/c the side of a car is relatively weak compared to the front or rear.

Reply to
Matt B.

Let's hope this isn't "going around" but I got hit yesterday. Not hard enough to cause any apparent damage to the exterior. The rear bumper skin doesn't appear to have shifted; it's still lined up properly with the trunk and the wheel arches. It was around 3 or 4 mph, not enough to crumple metal but, oy, does my lower back ache.

So where should one look underneath for tell-tale signs of work needing to be done?

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

wkearney99 wrote: : Let's hope this isn't "going around" but I got hit yesterday. Not hard : enough to cause any apparent damage to the exterior. The rear bumper skin : doesn't appear to have shifted; it's still lined up properly with the trunk : and the wheel arches. It was around 3 or 4 mph, not enough to crumple metal : but, oy, does my lower back ache.

: So where should one look underneath for tell-tale signs of work needing to : be done?

Well... i used this as a excuse to buy a repair kit from eastwood ;-) (always have to justify stuff to the wife...)

Anyway I figure we buy new bumper mounts and replace them and try to pound out the dent a little with our new set of hammers and curves... and i got a new toy...

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing