Rear hatch lock problem on 2000 Golf

Ok, so, any of you folks had a problem with the electric rear hatch locking mechanism? Key works fine. All other locks work. This is my son's car, 500 miles away. He took out the motor and it works with applied voltage. He's trying to find the relay that controls it without success. Anyone?

Reply to
SoCalGuy

The relay you're looking for is in the number 2 position on the relay panel. Should have the number 79 on it. Also, this car may have a key switch to allow power unlocking of the rear lid. Make sure this is on if it is equipped with one.

Reply to
Madesio

Thanks Madesio, Just where is the relay panel, by the fuse box? I have a 2000 TDI and I don't recall a power key unlocking of the hatch, I don't know about the gas ones tho.

Reply to
SoCalGuy

The relay you're looking is on the panel behind the knee bar support. You'll have to remove a few panels, then take off the metal support to access that relay panel. A quick way to test the switch (which does go bad), is to swap connectors the fuel door lid switch. They are both the same.

Reply to
Madesio

Thanks again Madesio... I wasn't thinking. I do have a hatch release on the key. And, my son said the book he has (not Bentley) identified the relay as 179, not 79. I think he can figure it out now. Thanks again

Reply to
SoCalGuy