rear main seal

So Ive just got my rear main seal in now. Ive held off on the clutch, cuz I dont know if ive done the seal wrong. I oiled up the seal and tapped it in with a hammer keeping in mind that the sealing edge should get in there straight. I couldnt get it flush so I stuck the old seal against it and rapped it a few times around. It turned to be seated under flush and the 12 o clock position of the seal was even a bit lower. Sort of crooked. I would pop it back out and try again with a new one, but they seem to be hard to get. It takes days for the parts store to get em. What do I do?

Oh, Its 82 rabbit pickup, CIS 1.7 gasser.

Reply to
thateb

Sounds like a poor installation job, which is just going to result in leaks. Take that seal out and install a new one.

Reply to
Papa

Reply to
thateb

A Bentley service manual will offer some, but not much, help. However, installing oil seals is really a job for a pro. Perhaps an acquaintance with experience installing seals can help. Otherwise your best bet is to take your vehicle to a service center. Look for a non-dealership service center that specializes in German cars. They will charge you less. Good luck.

Reply to
Papa

Reply to
none2u

Reply to
thateb

I just place a small block of 2x4 wood over it and tap it right on center carefully. Watch to make sure it begins to seat squarely.

Good Luck Mike

Reply to
RepairJunkie

Reply to