rear windshield washer delivery line plugged

Hello. I have a 1999 vw gti. The rear windshield washer does not squirt fluid onto the window anymore. I removed the nipple where the fluid squirts out in case it was plugged and that didnt help. Next I verified that fluid is actually leaving the reservoir in the engine compartment. To do this I disconnected the tube that carries the fluid from the reservoir to the rear wiper mechanism and then trigger the squirting mechanism and got fluid to shoot out of the reservoir opening. So now I am confident that the problem lies in the tube that carries the fluid from the reservoir to the rear wiper mechanism. I can imagine replacing that tube is impossible and I'm wondering if I should take my car to a garage and have them try to blow out the clog with high pressure air? Is their any risk of causing any other damage by this approach? Any suggestion on the safety of using high pressure to clear the clog are welcome.

TIA. Guid.

Reply to
weathercoach

I had the same issue with a Corrado; the high pressure air cleared the line but also caused it to blow apart at a point where two pieces of hard plastic line joined together with a little rubber hose. This was behind the carpeting in the trunk, on the driver's side just forward of the taillight.

I just ASSumed when the high pressure air blew something apart that it was screwed, but I found the blown apart joint while running a wire to enable the rear fog light and was very happy. Shortly thereafter the wiper switch failed, so now it doesn't work again :(

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

A thought : if water was ever used instead of fluid and you live where it freezes, maybe that line is frozen/blocked.

Reply to
samstone

Had the same issue with my 02 Passat wagon.

I purchased a new pump just in case, and started by removing the inner fender liner to gain access to the pump. Pump worked just fine. Hmmm. Blew out the line with air, and found the same rubber elbow had been separated in the jack compartment.

Proceeded to blow from there back to the wiper, and cleared whatever the stoppage was. Reconnected everything back, and it works just fine.

I can't imagine bursting the plastic supply line, but the fittings will surely disconnect under the pressure. You will either hear the air, or see the fluid if you don't already know where they are.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Wile