Rebuild or swap?

Well my 1991 Jetta has bit the dust. I've been checking vwvortex forums and used engines seem to be around 3-400 and I thought I found a place online with a longblock for 1200. I'd love to just take an engine that I *know* works and put it in, rather than spend the time rebuilding. But what are the different costs? How much would a rebuild be? I'm also planning on doing the transmission at the same time. I've been having some 2nd and 3rd gear synchro problems. I was pondering just using redline before the engine went, but while everything is out I want to get it put back together right (rather than get a brand new engine and 3000 miles from now have the transmission decide it wants to stop too). Working mainly weekends and some evenings, how long would a projects like this take?

Reply to
Matt Anderson
2 days. Drop engine in a few hours with tranny. Install new seals in replacement engine. Replace seals in transmission and throw back together. It took me a few months as I lost interest when I did my engine swap. Redline is a bit over-rated. I saw no difference on my car going from Mobil 1 which is a rear end lube to Redline. I will get flamed for using rear end lube in the tranny but it shifted about as bad at 129,000 miles when I got it as it did when I got rid of it at 280,000 miles.

Matt Anders> Well my 1991 Jetta has bit the dust. I've been checking vwvortex

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

What if I went with something other than stock? (i.e. get rid of digifant :)

Reply to
Matt Anderson

Jim B.

Reply to