Rebuildable Rabbit Front Strut Bearings

I've just acquired a pair of the old-style A1 strut bearings (the kind that came on the 75 and 76 rabbits, I believe). I'm getting ready to redo the suspension on my 84 rabbit. But I've just been told that early rabbit springs were slightly different that later rabbit springs. Specifically, I heard that the later rabbit springs were smaller at the ends. The person I was talking to said that if I was intending to use the older style strut bearings on my '84 rabbit, then when I purchased replacement oem springs, I needed to be sure that I ordered oem springs for one of these early rabbits. OEM springs for an '84 rabbit won't work on the earlier bearings, he said. Can somebody please confirm/deny this?

Thanks, Bryan

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

I didn't think it made a difference so long as you used the right upper spring seat. But I've been known to be wrong before.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to
none2u

OK. This makes sense. If I'm using the newer spring (and the spring I'm replacing is also the newer spring) can I reuse the upper spring mount from that which I'm replacing? More simply put, do I need to use brand new upper spring mounts every time I replace springs/struts?

I'm a little confused here. So a USA '84 would be EXTERNAL?

Thanks for this tip. I think I'm probably going to buy new housings, mine are rusted pretty thoroughly. I can't be sure, as I don't know the full history of this rabbit, but my hunch is that the struts/springs, have never been replaced. They are in bad shape.

Thank you everybody for your help! Bryan

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

That's my understanding, yes, but I can't give you a 100% on that.

No, I think you just need to use the ones appropriate to the springs that you are using.

I believe so, that seems to be my recollection from doing the front end on my '84 Wabbit GTI. Doesn't make any difference to the spring seat or strut bearing though, only what kind of struts you need to order. Boge sucks BTW.

Good luck with the replacement then, I had to cut the caps off the struts on my GTI; there was no way to non-destructively remove them. Fortunately the replacement struts came with new caps (I think this was the Boge set) but I had to replace them with Konis in only a couple years because they wore out amazingly fast.

nate

Reply to
N8N

OK.

OK.

Thanks.

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

You do not need to use brand new upper spring mounts every time you replace the struts. Its nothing more then a piece of steel molded to the spring, with a hole in it for the strut to go through. You reuse it all the time until it rots , or you get the other springs, then you need the other one. Put some paint on it if you want. There's external and internal threads for the strut nut. The 84 should be external threads. Its easy to look at your car and see which you have. I gave the years but it doesn't matter because people use what they buy, and you just know,what's on your car unless you look. If you're buying new strut housings , It doesn't matter anyway. You can see what's on the new ones and order the appropriate struts, with the correct nuts. Summary. Your bearings will work. Springs have matching upper spring mounts. Strut housings have internal or external threads. The new struts have a matching internal or external nut for the housing. And the kicker,, there's rubber snubbers, or bumper stops, and a plastic cap that go on the strut to keep them from bottoming out, and keep dirt off the chrome part. Good luck... Since you seem to be willing to buy so many parts . I will add the following because this may be cheaper or easier or both. Parts place for VWs has brand new completely assembled front strut assemblies , housings, springs, struts bearings, mounts ,snubbers, caps . Completely done for, 259 front pair. This means you remove two bottom bolts and two top bolts and they are out. The Springs are already mounted. They are Sachs or Boge. OEM. with firmer US springs. They have a core charge of

18 bucks but have a rebate for $20 off. I suspect all your parts ,because you're buying housings will be more then that. But your way means you have to mount the springs. There phone number is 1-248-373-2300 . the struts number is sn 13691 The rebate number is 16386. The core needs to be there in 30 days or you lose your 18 bucks. They sell a rebuild kit for 159 too, without the housing , but it has everything else brand new with old style springs. So you have to find the upper mounts old style. Its Boge too. external No.1996, internal No. 3947. No rebate or core. I don't work there , just trying to help.. "Bryan K. Walton" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@rattlesnake.machlink.com...
Reply to
none2u

Reply to
none2u

Thanks again for the helpful reply. One final question for you and others, assuming I can get struts for both internally and externally threaded strut housings, what are peoples thoughts on the two options with regard to the housings? Assuming that I have access to both, is one type of thread considered better (easier to work with, or one that ages better -- with regard to rust)?

Thanks! Bryan

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

Reply to
none2u

Hi none2u, It has been several weeks since I started this thread (but I'm now getting close to actually starting to build my new struts. (I know, I'm very slow to action.) Anyway, I decided to completely build the new struts not using any of my existing strut parts because this rabbit is my daily driver and I can't afford to disassemble my existing struts and then hit a road block. Regarding your post above, is the upper strut mount the part numbered "7" in the picture at this URL? Also, there are two parts, 1a and 1b, shown in this picture. Those two parts are really expensive (1stvwparts.com wants $40 apiece for each of them). I'm just planning on skipping those parts. Any thoughts on that?

Picture:

Thanks, Bryan Walton

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

Why not just buy complete new struts.

I have gotten several pairs from

$259 for the front pair, complete, all new.

Three bolts each side and you are on your way.

Reply to
Dave

Yes, I've received that advise more than once. I admit that it would be MUCH easier. And part of me, to be honest, wishes that I had gone that route. I've purchased many parts from Parts Place before, and I'm very happy with them. But, there are three reasons why I didn't go that way this time:

  1. I wanted to rebuild a set for the experience.
  2. I like to support my area parts stores, when possible. And in this case, the Gabriel brand inserts I purchased had a lifetime guarantee. Cashing in on such a guarantee, IMHO, is much easier with a local business.
  3. I wanted to replace the standard strut bearings with the rebuildable kind that came on the 75-76 rabbits.

Cheers! Bryan

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton