recommendations of oil change - Passat 1.8T

i have a 2004 passat wagon and had my first oil change done at sears a while ago, which cost me $30 which included the required oil and filter. i am up for my 15k change and called sears and they told me that they don't do the oil change on the passat anymore. i got the filter on-line, but neither sears or walmart would work on the passat.

i have read a few comments that the change is a little more difficult than on other cars and don't really want to mess around with it in my driveway. i also don't want to pay the $79 at the VW dealer and was therefore hoping to hear recommendations on where to go.

Reply to
Tobi

Look for a small (but reputable) repair shop that specializes in foreign cars. Their overhead (and therefore their labor rate) will be lower than at a VW dealership. If such a shop cannot be found, then take your car to a VW dealer for your oil changes. The cost will be higher, but not nearly as high as a ruined engine - which could occur at service facilities such as Sears. Avoid the "quick lube" places as well - for the same reasons.

Reply to
Papa

...and above all make sure you are using the newer/larger filter and Synthetic oil from the approved VW list.

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

...which you probably didn't get in your $30 oil change from Sears. The oil alone costs more than that.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

My guess is Sears either does not want to bother removing the belly pan (I think you have one) or more likely they have been found themselves in court because they used the wrong oil in a turbo engine VW. I doubt if they used oil required by VW when they did your first change.

One place worst than Sears is anyplace that sounds like quick lube. Stay far away from them.

The recommendation for an independent local mechanic is best.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I would use nothing but OEM filter and factory spec synthetic oil in a turbo. I even run synthetic in my 99 2.8l Passat. Synthetic oil is just that much better in a long run. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than a $4000+ engine.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

$80 for a synthetic oil change and the better filters now required for the

1.8T sounds about right.
Reply to
Rob Guenther