Red Line Gear Oil

Now that it's finally gotten cold here, I can report that Red Line MT-90 gear oil really does work as claimed in Red Line's marketing literature. Much easier shifting than the factory oil when the tranny is really cold -- 5 deg F this morning. Recommended as an alternative to VW G51 or G52, which goes for around $40 a liter at my local dealer. I got it for about $8 per quart.

Reply to
Brian Running

How does one determine if shifting is more difficult due to temperature due to tranny oil used?

Manual trannies may use nylon bushing in the shifting mechanisms. These get stiff as the air temp is colder, engine not running. As engine warms the area, the apparent stiffness disappears.

Reply to
Jonny

Change the fluid and if you feel a difference you know. It is my experience that it does make a difference if you switch to a lower weight, a multi weight or a synthetic. The Red Line noted in this tread is a synthetic. Synthetics tend not to thicken as much as standard oils in the cold.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You've got to be joking, but just in case you're not:

On a cold morning, go out and start your car, then drive around the block. Note the effort required to shift, and the notchiness of the shifter.

Replace your transmission oil with Red Line MT-90.

On another cold morning, go out and drive your car around the block again. Note the effort required to shift, and the notchiness of the shifter.

No, they don't.

Because the gear oil warms and gets thinner.

Reply to
Brian Running

I had the correct weight non synthetic oil in my golf. It would pop out of

Reply to
none2u