Relay for MkII Golf GTI 1990

Hello, I have a GOLF GTI MKII 1990, the electrical systems seems to be having problems, the Rev counter ,fog lights, rear wiper and computer selector don't work (the clock on the multifunction display works fine). No fuses are blown in the main fuse box, however I'm unable to locate a relay that would cover all that lot.The picture of the relays in the Haynes manual isn't the one I have. Can anybody help please !

Reply to
Robbie

Hello, I have a GOLF GTI MKII 1990, the electrical systems seems to be having problems, the Rev counter ,fog lights, rear wiper and computer selector don't work (the clock on the multifunction display works fine). No fuses are blown in the main fuse box, however I'm unable to locate a relay that would cover all that lot.The picture of the relays in the Haynes manual isn't the one I have. Can anybody help please !

Reply to
Robbie

I suspect you may be suffering seperate faults, the MFA selector is unrelated to any of the other faults (except maybe the rev counter), the earlier Motometer guager are prone for rev counter failer [1], if it was relay related I would expect not just the rear wiper to go but all wipers, therefore I think the stalk has failed which would cover the rear wiper and MFA selector [4]. Now when you say fogs do you mean front or rear?? AFAIK except maybe front fogs there is no relay for the fogs on a golf [2], I lost my rears a few years ago and unfortunately after much prodding, burning a wire out trying to fix it etc I gave up bodged a temp wire from front to back of car, got it through the MoT next day [3] then dropped it in at the auto elecs the following week and got the burnt out wire and the rear fogs properly rewired.

Hope this helps

[1] winces as that is what is outside in my car [2] There isn't a relay on much to be honest, there is the X-relay which gives power to headlights, fans, wipers allsorts but when that goes you know about it, fuel pump, again you'd know about that, and the wipers, but as your front one works I think we can safely rule that one out. [3] Next day being the 30th and the day the tax expired so not a lot of choice as sparkies couldn't look till following week... [4] PS when (if) you replace the wiper stalk don't forget to remove the little piece of white plastic that stops you using intermittant wipers on lower spec cars which is what the prev owner of my car did and I didn't realise so when I fitted a new one I didn't know I could have saved some money by just removing the old stalks and that little clip. Ho hum.
Reply to
Jon B

Thanks for your reply, after speaking to my wife it seems that the rev counter stoped working before , the MFA selector/ rear wipe stoped working. Oh and its the front fogs that dont work.

Thanks very much indeed again.

Reply to
Robbie

Rear wipers could be the wiring where it flexes with the tailgate moving. Does it try to wipe or nothing at all? There are two wires - one starts it, the other parks it. There may be an earth (brown) joining the tailgate to the body as well.

Reply to
Dave Hall

There's not one relay that does all of that.

The fog lights and rev counter are probably a separate issues. These may be due to one of the chassis ground points coming adrift. Also check that the instrument panel connector is properly seated. If the latter is not seated properly, then it could also explain the MFA problem.

Check the wiring harness from the wiper stalk through to the connector on the steering column. If you have a multimeter, unplug the connectors at the column and check that the switches are all working. If any of the stalk switches are faulty, you have to replace the stalk.

You can "simulate" the various stalk functions using short lengths of wire to bridge appropriate connections; but CAREFULLY check the connections first with a multimeter and the ignition on. Bridging the connections should confirm that the rest of the harness is OK.

Reply to
Bernd Felsche

There may be a relay for those and if so I think it is the last one on right but don't quote me as I haven't got front fogs but a hole in the relay panel (and I'm quoting without going for a look)

Reply to
Jon B

There's no relay between the power and the dash instr., only the starter switch. The clock runs on continious power from the battery. Look for bad connections on one of the two connectors on the instr. panel.

SFC

"Robbie" schreef in bericht news:d6fndr$o09$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

Reply to
SFC