Removing center consle...

Im in my auto class right now and tried turning the key halfway and we have no response from the fuel pump. Im am currently trying to get to the Relay panel through the center consle and am having some trouble getting it off... any suggestions? Once i get the new fuel pump relay in, whats my next step?

Thanks,

Sean

Reply to
the.cheef

Nevermind... i got it! Where should i go to get a new fuel pump relay?

Thanks...

Sean

Reply to
the.cheef

When you say half-way on the key , i hope you mean to the run position ( not start ). It was suggested to try and make the pump run by jumpering across the relays female connection in the terminal block. There are four male spade prongs that stick out from the relay. Two of these are smaller and operate a magnetic coil in the relay ( having the key in the run position ( actually the start position too ) supplies 12 volts to this coil and the magnatism operates the single pole normal open switch inside the relay and the closing of the switch applies power to the pump). The Large two male terminals are the switch ( leads ). So if you jumper across the two female connectors in the terminal block AND have the key in the run position you SHOULD hear the pump run. If you can't hear the pump run then the problem is with the pump. If it does run, THEN is when you need to know where to buy the relay because the jumping test proved that the relay is not operating correctly. Reguardless , I've pulled relays out of junkyard cars and have used them ( in fact , I have a whole replacement/testing set of relays for my jetta) or you can go to a VW dealer and buy the OEM relay from them.

Reply to
samstone

Let me add here - the pump or associated wiring including the fuse for the pump :-/

THEN is when you need to know

Reply to
samstone

Before going down this road, did you verify if 12V is present at the fuel pump?

Reply to
Noncompliant

You really need to mention the make, model, and year. Without this info, most answers will just be a guess. Also, it would help if you list the type of transmission and whether or not your vehicle has A/C. I know that the type of transmission and the existence of A/C has nothing to do with your specific question, but these factors have a lot to do with how a vehicle is wired and plumbed.

Reply to
Papa