removing turbocharger from 1984 diesel rabbit ?

I'm in the process of pulling the header from my 1984 turbo diesel rabbit to see if it's warped. To do so, according to Bentley, it's necessary to remove the turbocharger. Great, but HOW THE HECK do you get those %$&$*%&$% spring clips off ??? Is it possible to do it without "special tool 3049"? Any hints/tips/tricks from anybody who's managed to remove/install a turbocharger would be most welcome. Thanks!

Reply to
Reid Fleming

Jim Behning

Seems expensive for one time use only. I managed to do it with a big screw driver but there are clever people who made a simple tool with some exhaust clamps.

SFC

"Jim Behning" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

SFC

I made my tool from a couple of pieces of threaded rod (about 1/4" dia), and two small pieces of unthreaded (large, about 1/2 or 5/8" dia) rod. Works well.

Reply to
PeterD

(at the bottom)I thought under $3.00 was very reasonable for a "tool" that would do the job! ;-) Good job Jim Behning!

I too used to pop them off with the big screwdriver but reinstalling them was very tricky to do. I now have one of the expensive tools and lately I have not used it. lol

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks, the exhaust-pipe-clamp trick worked just great! We were able to get the clips off without any problem.

On a side note, does anybody know where I can find a polygon socket to remove the polygon-headed bolts that hold the turbocharger to the header?

Thanks, Reid

Reply to
Reid Fleming

The term 'polygon' means 'multi-sided', and doesn't tell me quite what you are looking for. Are they penta (five sided) for example?

Reply to
PeterD

"find a polygon socket" Are you talking about those XZN Tools also called Triple Square tools like these

a picture and post it somewhere for us to see it. You should try to measure it even with the head of a bolt. ;-)Try some of the neighborhood auto parts stores like Pep Boys, Murrays, NAPA or some of the others. They should carry the smaller sizes. Might have to special order the larger sizes that are usually used for the cylinder head bolts.

dave AKA vwdoc1