Replace '02 Passat radio/casette with what?

I have an early '02 Passat with a "Monsoon" sound system with a cassette player in the dash and controls for a trunk-mounted CD changer, instead of the in-dash single CD player in later production.

I never bought the CD changer and I'm really getting tired of cassettes. Since I'll probably be keeping the car for a few more years, I'd like to replace the radio.

Is it all in the dash-mounted unit or is there an amp or other stuff hidden away somewhere?

Anybody done this sort of thing? Other than simply handing some custom shop a wad of money, what's the best approach?

Reply to
Bert Hyman

I got the CD changer for SoundDesign and it works great for me. It was an easy install. I believe that Churchfield also has a unit that fits. I believe they both offer in dash replacement units as well.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Make sure which sound system is in the car stock - Aktiv or non. Beyond that, be cautious in wiring - Circuit City fried the tranny control unit and cruise control in my kid's '92 when they installed a Panasonic in-dash cd unit. After that got fixed, I found a Blaupunkt in-dash single cd unit that fitted right to the existing plugs and worked fine. Transplanted it to the '96 Passat he got when he started grad school.

Ed

Reply to
Edvardo

Sorry, but I don't know what you mean by that.

It's the factory stock "Monsoon" system; beyond that, I dunno.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

When my Wife's factory cd changer went South in her '00 Jetta, I replaced it with a USA Spect #SCD-VW44 that is a direct replacement. I believe I paid about $269 from Crutchfield.com with free shipping. It was a little of a tight fit into the existing compartment in the trunk, but with a little squeezing, works fine with matching plug ends for a direct hook up. If you have never had a cd changer in the trunk, you may have to visit your local vw dealer to program the radio to see the changer after install.

Reply to
lobo

el snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.net (lobo) wrote in news:kZGag.7909$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net:

I'm not looking for a changer; I'm looking for an in-dash replacement for the existing radio/CD-control/cassette player with a single-CD player.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Aktiv system was what came on most of the Passats imported in from '90? to '94 - it had a hookup to the tranny control and cruise such that as speed increased, the radio volume also increased automatically.

IIRC, there were two or maybe three leads that were part of this and you either had to use them correctly or not use them at all - otherwise you would apply voltage to the controller and burn out it and a little resistor on the back of the cluster circuitry as well - leading to no cruise and a malfunctioning tranny.

Usual first symptom was you could drive fine, use the cruise control - as soon as you turned on the radio, the cruise cut out. Shut the radio off, cruise worked fine again. After doing this for a while, the tranny would start acting up (hard shifts, hanging in gear, etc)

About $1300 to fix, btw....

Ed

Reply to
Edvardo

Shouldn't there be an in-dash CD player add-on that can be added to the OEM stereos that only have cassette? Somewhat pricey when bought new, but does not require the use of an aftermarket stereo (and associated attention from thieves or hesitation from VW dealer mechanics due to the possibility of the "k-wire problem" destroying their expensive VW scan tools if the stereo is miswired).

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net (Timothy J. Lee) wrote in news:44734f58$0$65491$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sonic.net:

That's an interesting possibility; I'll see if I can find something.

Couldn't be worse than the changer (assuming I could even get one at this date).

Reply to
Bert Hyman

I don`t know if it is possible for you to buy from 'DeRemate' (it's similar to Ebay in Argentina).

There, you find a lot of OEM VW CD Stereos (blue and green display lighting) for 90-100 USD.

Furthermore, you could find an OEM VW CD-MP3 stereo for about 150 USD...

That units are the OEM stereos supplied with Brazilian and Argentinian VWs, so they are plug and play.

In the link attached, you'll reach to the page of the auction.

T.-

"Bert Hyman" escribió en el mensaje news:Xns97CC87929D98AVeebleFetzer@127.0.0.1...

Reply to
Gustavo Arriagada