Replacing axle flange seals on A3

It looks like I need to replace at least one of the axle flange seals on my A3 (1993) Jetta.

Looking at the Bentley Manual it doesn't look to hard, with one exception. Bentley says to head the axle flange to 80C before reinstalling. Can anyone tell me if heating the flange is necessary?

One more dumb question. Am I correct in assuming I need to drain the tranny before I pull the flange to avoid having it drain onto my garage floor?

Any suggestions for doing this job?

Reply to
Caleb

I've only replaced them on my '89 with the tranny out of the car.

Bad flange seals *might* mean bad differential bearings.

Are the flanges the same as on A2's? Just curious. If so, heat isn't necessary. If not, I dunno :)

Yes.

Take the tranny out of the car. It's easier :)

Reply to
Darryl