replacing battery...

.. in a passat 2003.

Is there ary problem about doing this oneself? Vague rumours about the cars electronics - in particular the software in the 'computer' - have put me off.

As you will have guessed, I'm completely inept on these matters, so, any advice welcomed....

Reply to
bob

No, first remove neg. then positive. Place new battery, first pos then negativ,.adjust clock, done.

SFC

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
SFC

If it has a factory radio, make sure you have the unlock code first ...

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

- SFC and Erik - thanks to you both for your replies re method and caution.

Regarding the radio which I'm pretty certain is a factory one; I bought the car 2nd-hand a few years ago and know only that the previous owner has since died!

I have the handbook (currently in france so I can't check) - I suppose it's too optimisitic to imagine the unlock code might be there?

Reply to
bob

Gee, one would think the handbook was supposed to be in the car...

If it is user settable (don't know if this year is factor preset or user set) best hope the owner either didn't set a code or wrote it down (check everything in the glove box). If factory set, then there shuold be a card or page with the code on it. (An example of factory set is the radio in my Saab, you can't set the code, you just use the one that was programmed in there.)

Reply to
PeterD

..it's in the car (french reg) which is parked in the ferry terminal in Le Havre - i'm in the uk...

- yes, thanks, I certainly will dig into the glove box.

Having searched further on the potential radio problem I found :-

. about 2/3rds down the page 'danny' says that disconnecting the neg first and reconnecting it last is enough to protect on all fronts - as suggested by SFC earlier.

Reply to
bob

If the radio code is user settable then set it now to something of your own....

Reply to
krak

ok - thanks!

Reply to