REPLACING DRIVESHAFTS GOLF 3 - HOW TO?

Hi, Just about to embark on replacing the drivehsafts on my 1993 Golf 3. Anyone offer any 'how to' tips as the haynes manual is not that descriptive. TIA

Reply to
brad.hook

Get a Bentley manual. I'm not sure they have European specific Bentley's, but even an American one is probably better than Haynes. I've never done an A3, but the A2 is as follows (and some might disagree with this):

1) Loosen axle nut (30mm) and lug bolts (just enough that you can remove them with the wheel off the ground) 2) Jack up car on the side you are removing the driveshaft. 3) Spin tire until you have good access to the bolts holding in the inner half axle. Remove bolts using a "triple square" bit socket. Have a friend rotate the tire to get you better access as you go for each one. I'd go around once and loosen them, and then remove them. (You don't need to leave the wheel on, I just find it easier to rotate the driveshaft with it on) 4) Remove axle nut (30mm), lug bolts and wheel. 5) Loosen pinch bolt holding wheel bearing carrier to ball joint. 7) Remove wheel bearing carrier assembly from the ball joint 8) Have friend pull on wheel bearing carrier assembly while you try to maneuver the half axle out. 9) Installation is the reverse of removal. However, bear in mind the following:

- The inner joint may need to be greased before installation

- Always use a new axle nut, and properly torque it (about 200 lbs ft should be good)

- On the A3's you *MAY* have to press out the halfshaft from the wheel bearing (this may require a special tool -- something along the lines of a metal bar with three holes, the middle one threaded and a long bolt - i.e. you clamp the bar in place between with two lug bolts, and then thread a bolt through the center to push out the axle)

- Never allow the wheel to be on the ground without the axle and axle nut properly installed, and especially don't move it. Tighten the axle nut up as much as you can before putting it down, and then properly torque it before moving it at all. Improperly torqued axle nuts will kill wheel bearings shockingly fast.

- Do not attempt this repair without a new axle nut, and the proper axle nut and triple-square sockets

You should be able to knock this out with hand tools and a helper in

1-1.5 hours per side, assuming you've never done it before.
Reply to
no

Its fairly easy but you'll need a few tools to do it properly. I have a 95 GTI VR6 but the procedure is basically the same - BUT - the torque setting for the axel nut are different. Give me a day and I'll look them up.

First you'll need a 12 point triple square bit to remove the bolts that attach the shaft to the transmission. You really can't use anything but a

12 pt and its NOT a TORX. Do an internet lookup of 12 point socket or go to GermanAutoParts.com and go to tools and Volkswagen. Once you get the bolts out, getting the nut that holds the shaft through the steering knuckle is a real pain and its on VERY tightly. Take the regular wheel off the car and put on the spare tire or for you Brits tyre. Then put the car on the ground and put on the emergency brake. Get a braker bar and the socket - put it through the hole in the spare tire and hopefully it will loosen. Jack the car remove the wheel. Getting the shaft out may present a problem - you will need a tool - do not pound on it with a hammer it will mushroom and it will never come out. There is a tool - will look it up that presses the shaft out smoothly and evenly. Remember when pressing to move the other end out of the way so that it will press out. The tool basically fits over the hub and bolts on. Through the center is another bolt that is quite large that when turned will evenly press out the shaft without doing any damage to either the shaft or hub.

Reassemble starting with the hub end first then reattach and retorque the bolts. For a 93 you may need some special sealant to reseat the splines of the shaft to the hub. The torque specs are very important and you have to follow the procedure otherwise you will have to replace the wheel bearings and that I can tell you is not fun and can potentialy be very expensive. . I'll look up the specs and post tomorrow.

Reply to
stim141