Replacing fluid in type 096 automatic transmission

VW Passat 2.0 CL Automatic

when I get to a certain rev the transmission seems to slip and makes a noise. I think this is during a gear change. Haynes manual says this could be down to the fluid level and/or condition of fluid. I have a type 096 gearbox with a dipstick. The manual says the fluid should be drawn from the dipstick tube using a special adapter which I haven't got but was wondering if I could syphon it out with a tube? Anyone had experience with this and is there an easy way to do it?

thanks

Reply to
Bodhran

I think that the 'special tube' is just a siphon............so YES. You can also drop the pan and install a new filter, gasket and some of the ATF. More ATF will be inside of the Torque Converter and that is harder to refresh with in the trans.

Your trans should store some DTCs which might help you diagnose the problem(s). You might need a vag-com type scanning tool to help find the problem.

What year is this Passat? What kind of noise? In which gear does this noise appear? What does the fluid look like and is the level correct?

later, dave (One out of many daves)

91 Passat 16V auto

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

does it sound like a squeak type noise for about 1 second!

Reply to
Woodchuck

yeah, sort of and yes it's only brief

Reply to
Bodhran

it's M reg 1995 the noise is a sort of squeak and I reckon it's between third and fourth gear. It's only brief and doesn't seem to affect acceleration. The fluid is dark like old oil from the engine and the level is ok

I'll try to siphon it out through the dipstick tube and top up I'm not skilled enough to be dropping pans and changing gaskets but hopefully changing as much fluid as I can might make a difference

Apparently work on the transmission can be a tricky job and Haynes manual says it's probably a job left for a VW dealer with spaecial equipment

cheers

Reply to
Bodhran

It's a noise caused by when the clutch pack for that gear engages from the slight slippage between the friction discs. Usually changing to the new type synthetic fluid fixes the problem 75% of the time. The noise has no effect on trans life, at least from what VW told me.

Reply to
Woodchuck

bought a syphon and tube for less than £1 from azda (wall mart) Managed to get nearly 2 litres of old stuff out. Topped up with the new fluid and the problem does seem to have gone. Took it on the motorway and gave it a few good hard revs and fingers crossed no slippage

cheers

Reply to
Bodhran

So every few months are you doing this again so the fluid becomes even cleaner? That synthetic fluid ain't cheap AFAIK.

congrats to you!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

This thread is about as good as it gets. Thread of the year nominee.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

I bought a 5 litre bottle of atf fluid expecting to get more out than I got but maybe the syphon needed a more powerful pump action. The noise has definately gone so at least the old stuff has been diluted to an extent. I'm off to Europe tomorrow (camping) and reckon on driving about 2300 miles in 2 weeks. I washed out the syphon to use again so I'll have another go when I get back. Eventually I'll use all the atf fluid I bought and the old fluid should be pretty well diluted by then

cheers

Reply to
Bodhran