replacing spark-plugs in '96 Passat GLS (2.0L ABA engine)

The ignition wires need to be changed and I figured, I will change the spark plugs at the same time. I own this car for about 6 months only and this would be the first time I would be changing the spark plugs in this Passat. What worries me is that two plugs in the middle (#2 and #3) seem hard to get to, being located under an intake manifold.

Could anyone with BTDT experience post any helpful hints? The Bentley in its arrogance skips the spark-plug replacement procedure, probably assuming it is self evident. I happen to have heard the horror stories about the spark plugs broken during the removal attempts and don't want to add another one. Having to remove the intake manifold to get to the spark plugs seems too silly. So, I assume it is a normal socket with a u-joint connection to the ratchet extension. Am I right?

Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Andrew

Reply to
elms88

Yep, that's about it and 30 minutes of time.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Thanks for replying. I was afraid a bit about this flexible spark plug socket. My feeling is that it may give to much side load and I am horrified by a possibility of braking a spark plug in the hole.

Last time, the plugs were installed under a previous owner and some mechanics tend to tighten them too hard and don't seem to use an anti-seize on them. I tried the spark plug #1. I did manage to loosen it but it was way tight.

I will follow your advise and try the flexible socket first and have a spare intake manifold gasket it case the flexible socket won't do it within reasonable force.

Thanks again! Andrew

Reply to
elms88

Anti-seize is not needed and I never use the stuff. It can create more problems than it's worth. Just remember always hand start the plugs before you crank them in with a ratchet. That way there's no chance of cross threading them.

Reply to
Woodchuck

The center plugs are actualy installed at an angle so a normal, thin socket plus a 10 inch extension gets them no problem. Just do it :)

It actually more difficult to remove the spark plug wires than the plugs.

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Thanks. However, could you elaborate on what's wrong with anti-seize? The instructions on the label specifically advise to use it for Oxygen Sensors and spark plugs. Well, I agree that some stuff sold in stores are useless or even harmful (like cooland additives). But as for the anti-seize, I used it in my old Golf and had no reason to complain. I was always able to remove the spark plugs I installed with no difficulty. On the other hand, it may be just because I did not overtighten them as many garages too.

Thanks again! Andrew

Reply to
elms88

Jim B.