Reprogramming with new battery

I posted a note earlier about a new battery for my 2000 Passat. I was thinking Sears where I've gotten many batteries before, but called my dealer to ask them. They tell me that there is "reprogramming" that needs to be done for a new battery. I confirmed with this another dealer. They said beyond the radio, there' may also be a need to reprogram the throttle body. With the cold snap here, they are both booked up until next week. The first dealer said I could put in a VW battery and sometimes the reprogramming isn't necessary or "heals itself". The worst he says is that the car might run a little rough and that I'd then need to bring it in for reprogramming.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Reply to
TL

Francis J. Bossolini

The typical Sears Service Center replaced the original battery in my

1999 Passat GLS V6 with a Sears International Group 4 one, with the car batteryless for an hour or so. Somehow nothing needed attending to afterwards as a consequence of this. The original battery failed after 42 months ... 3.5 years.

--- Frank

Reply to
Frank Pajerski
99% of the time all will be well. But if you want try using one of them "savers" or "maintainer" to plug into the cig lighter but make sure and have the key out of the ignition. What I do sometimes when I can't find the owners radio code is connect a small battery charger to the battery cables and swap the battery out. Just be careful but it can be done!

Reply to
Woodchuck

As I recall it will go into limp mode after the battery change and may run a little rough for a few miles as it reprograms itself.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan