Reverse gear clashes badly 86 Quantum

I am writing for a friend who owns a 1986 Quantum with 5 cylinder and 5 speed manual.

Although the transmissions engages all forward gears well (she says that 1st is sometimes slightly reluctant) reverse grinds very badly on engagement. I tried it and it really grinds. Selecting 1st gear first did not help. This problem has manifested itself in the past couple of weeks. The shifter base was replaced about six years ago.

Any ideas about what is wrong?

Could it be a shift rod out of adjustment?

Repair instructions will be welcome.

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Can you shift it into reverse or 1st with the engine off? If so then I would suspect a pilot bearing, sticking clutch disc, misaligned trans/engine, or something else (clutch cable/deactivation system) that might cause the clutch disc to continue to spin when the clutch pedal is fully down.

JMHO later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1