rip-off tire store Annapolis MD (venting)

Just got back from a tire store that I've spoken highly of in the past. Basically I bought a set of four (very expensive) tires there back in August, and was told by their salesperson that they quoted all their prices out the door with mounting, lifetime balancing, lifetime free rotations (which I'll never use) and road hazard coverage. When I got my invoice it had a line item for "total care package" which I assumed was what he was referring to. Well last week I got a cut in one of my sidewalls and actually scratched one of my rims. So I took the rim up to a wheel repair place in Elkridge and got the old tire back. Took it down to the tire store tonight and was told that it would cost me $125 to get another tire and the guy acted like he was doing me a favor since the price had gone up since then! I then asked about the road hazard coverage (I had my receipt) with me and he showed me a little chart (which I'd never seen before) showing three levels of service that they offered. Apparently the "total care package" doesn't include road hazard but the "total care plus" does - which cost $7 more!

Needless to say I was rather upset, and told the guy so, and as politely as I could manage told him that I would be buying my replacement tire from the Tire Rack. I've already called my credit card company although I don't think they will be much help, and plan on writing the store a letter explaining my disappointment, and sending a copy of the letter to these newsgroups as well as a few automotive mailing lists to which I subscribe (which would actually be more appropriate as some of them are local clubs) and the local Better Business Bureau and their corporate office, if I can find it.

I'm basically very disappointed in the whole situation as the guy that I talked to tonight, who I believe is the manager, has been very nice to me in the past, "comped" me a couple of mountings, always been friendly, and based on my previous experiences there I even convinced a female friend to buy a (fairly expensive as well) set of tires for her car there (I hope they didn't screw her the way they screwed me! You better believe I'm going to tell her to check her receipt!) and like I said before, I've always spoken highly of them if anyone asks me where to buy tires locally.

But anyway, now that I've got that off my chest... WHY are they doing this? Are they losing money on road hazard coverage, and hoping to save money by not selling it? And more importantly, what else can I do to make their lives miserable?

Oh, yeah, the name of the place is Merchant's Tire on West Street in Annapolis, although they seem to be doing business under the name Tire Kingdom now (even though the sign out front says Merchant's still.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate,

I've done a lot of business with Merchants in the past and have always been satisfied with them. One of the things I always liked was that the price quoted was the price out the door. Went to get a couple of tires for my good old Jeep a few weeks ago and found the prices were different.

Merchants has been bought out by Tire Kingdom, just ain't the same company anymore.

(Isn't Tire Kingdom where Homer Simpson got ripped off on some tires after getting a coupon for a free something?)

Jeff DeWitt

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
Robert Black

Done. thanks man.

Here's the weird thing. First time I ever went there was when I got those tires mounted and balanced that I got from under your porch for the '62. I spoke to the *same guy* (the one I think is the manager) that I spoke to tonight and he told me whatever it cost to do it and he couldn't be responsible for any damages caused by used tires yadda yadda. I told him fine, I understand, do it, showed up later to pick them up and he just rolled 'em out the back door and said don't worry about it (guess he was too busy to do paperwork.) Went back a couple times after that, same deal, usually I paid, sometimes I didn't. He'd look stuff up for me in the Coker price list etc. while I was waiting even when I told him that I was just window shopping and wasn't really serious, or at least wouldn't be for months at least. Dragged Michele down there when she needed tires for her Corrado and it was totally painless. Then I finally went in to make a real serious purchase of my own and wanted a set of the same tires Michele got, a guy that literally came in a few hours before I did bought their last set in my size, they would have to order them. So the manager gave me a junk tire, mounted and balanced on my rim, to drive on while waiting for the new tires to come in. (I had planned on buying new tires before winter, but got a little cut in a sidewall of one of my old tires from a stealth pothole before I got around to doing it.) So far so good right? I love this store!

Well it was all downhill from there. I called a couple times and each time they weren't in and they weren't sure if they had been ordered, I finally broke down and just bought the Michelin Pilots (what I really wanted anyway) instead for $75 or so more. And then they lost one of my little hubcaps and never offered to replace it (it was only $20 so I didn't bitch too much) and then this. It's totally weird, the guy was bending over backwards to make me happy even though I was a totally low budget, pain in the ass, stupid little job type customer right up until I finally dropped some real cash at the place and then they went all Jekyll and Hyde. I don't understand...

nate

John Poulos wrote:

Nate Nagel

When was the store bought out by a larger chain? Also, is the person giving you the good service still there?

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Never had any trouble with NTB and Discount Tire... In fact, they detected problems and replaced several tires during routine rotations/balance...

And I thought that all the hucksters were in Texas...

JT

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy au Contraire

Hell JT, sounds like the Disount Tire stores in your area are a lot better than around here.

I have TRIED to shop them at least a half-dozen times to no avail. Seems their counter help is too busy chatting amongst themselves to bother with the customers in the showroom.

I use a place called Tire Barn (not sure how big the chain is) and they ALWAYS have my tires done and me on my way within 30-45 minutes.

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

1952 Commander chassis and drive train (For Sale, whole or parts) 1953 Commander Hardtop (Parts Car) 1955 Commander Coupe (Soon to be sold) 1961 Hawk (Soon to be a '53 Coupe) 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible 62V10399 1962 Lark Regal Convertible 62V????? (Dad's Last New Studebaker) 1962 Lark Regal Convertible 62V41115 (When Done, Dad's Next New Studebaker) 1962 Champ 1/2 Ton (For Sale) 1963 Avanti (Parts Car/For Sale) 1963 Cruiser (Body Tub on Frame and Most Sheet Metal/For Sale) 1963 Daytona Wagonaire (Debbie's "Little Red Wagon") 1963 GT Hawk 63V14568 (The Insurance Hawk) 1963 Lark Fixed Roof Wagon (Parts Car/For Sale) 1964 Avanti R2 4-Speed R5410 (Lark in a Party Dress ) 1964 Cruiser 64V10452 (Dubbed the Survivor II/For Sale) 1964 Lark 4-Door Sedan 64V17327 R1 Powered Y3 Police Car 1964 Lark Convertible (Really Jim Turner's but posession is 9/10 of the law) 1964 Lark Convertible (Canadian Built) 1965 Lark rolling chassis (Parts Car/For Sale) 1966 Cruiser (2) Studebaker Factory Parts Train Cars
Reply to
Lee

Another place to consider is Pep Boyz, a place that I hate but they do carry some vintage stuff like shocks and can also be a source of good deals on tires.

JT

Lee wrote:

rotations/balance...

Reply to
Grumpy au Contraire

Nate & All, I have had two run in's with Tire Kingdom here in Orlando / Winter Park, FL. The chain is run by a bunch of jerks as far as I'm concerned. I would staying away from them to protect both your wallet and sanity.

Reply to
Avanti_Ken

While ranting about stores, let me add my rant on Home Depot. One morning, very early (they open at 6) I was in the ONLY checkout line along with six contractor types pushing sleds of materials. The only other checkout was a self service thing which I REFUSE to use. IM NOT THE *(^%&()& CASHIER and shouldnt be made to be one. While in line I looked around and counted EIGHTEEN orange vested employees basically standing around or very uninterestedly putting things on shelves, talking amongst themselves or sipping coffee. Holy Bleeding Mother of Jesus. Cannot a few of these overpaid undereducated slobs come up and man a ^*(()&^*( cash register?????

Reply to
landrover

It's a management thang...

Reply to
Grumpy au Contraire

Reply to
James

Reply to
John Poulos

I like it too. It doesn't handle odd-sized items well (things that don't easily fit in the bag) but when I run in for one or two quick normal-sized items, I'm in and out really quick and not stuck behind the folks with lumber and plants w/o prices and stuff like that.

Reply to
Matt B.