Rotor won't come off

I can't get the distributor rotor off of my 90 Golf 8v. What am I doing wrong? I've pulled and yanked 'till it busted and I can't get the thing off! Please help.

Reply to
Ears

Some are glued on. That suggests you need glue to put the new one on properly. What kind of glue I do not know as I skipped that generation with glued on rotors.

Reply to
Jim Behning

I would tap it on top with a rubber mallet. This may break the glue- bond such that it will come loose. Or, put a set of vice-grips on it and tap them back-and-forth to break the bond. Short of these suggestions you may have to use a nut-cracker to take it off... the tool, not the kitchen device. If you can fit it in there.

Putting it back, ask at VW the sort of glue you might need. But in a vacuum and without other resources, I would use a slighty viscous cyano-acrylate (super-glue). It will crack when rapped when you need to replace some time in the future.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

"Vise grips." Sorry, but I once made the mistake of confusing vice with vise, and, well, let's not get into that.

Reply to
Brian Running

I think the correct/official method of distributor rotor removal is to crush the base of the rotor with some vise-grip pliers and then remove the pieces. Please try not to drop any pieces down into the distributor, so cover up that area before you crush the rotor. ;-) You are also NOT to apply any excessive pressure to the shaft. 8^o Nutcracker sounds like a good idea!

I don't think that the glue is really necessary on the 8v engines but is a good idea on the 16V engines. Usually the rotor install on the distributor shaft with a little force anyway.

JMHO

Reply to
One out of many daves

I don't think it was glue, but a simple case of electrolysis.

Reply to
Ears

I ended up getting it off by spraying a little wd40 down on it, tapping it repeatedly, and then repositioning myself to pull with all my force straight up! Unfortunately I busted a sensor just north in the process.

Reply to
Ears