Rough running engine

My '81 1.7 gas pickup started running rough over a few week period. Feels like a miss. I pull the #2 plug wire off and nothing happens. No spark? Ground plug wire, good spark, pull spark plug, good shape. No fuel? Pull injector, Fine cone-shaped pattern? Not. A squirting, dribbling fuel spray. Replace injector with new. No change, still erratic spray pattern. Before I start throwing more parts at this thing where do I turn to next? Fuel pressure? I noticed a few drops of fuel on the outside of the fuel pressure accumulator. What else could explain this seeming loss of fuel pressure? I don't have a fuel pressure guage. Mike

Reply to
MChamb8660

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Word from the unwise: I "helped" a friend out one time with the fuel distributor on her CIS equipped 80's Jetta. Those fuel unions are

*fragile*. They have small copper washers on each side so that they don't have to be torqued too much.

I don't know the correct torque spec. I know that you are supposed to replace those washers every time you take off a union, but that folks who know what they're doing are generally able to reuse them.

Anyway, I over-tightened and sheered the head off one of them. It was very easy to do, since the "bolt" barrel is hollow, and there are four cross drilled holes to allow the fuel in. The local parts store had a replacement, and all was well, but beware!

Good luck, those early rabbits/pickups are great. Arthur

snipped-for-privacy@doesthisblockporkm> There is a screen under the fuel distributo. You may try to remove

Reply to
Arthur Russell