scirroco 16V?

did VW make 16V scirroco's in 1984? I drove past one for sale but don't want it unless it has the 16V engine.

thanks

charles

Reply to
charles holder

Assuming that you talk about North America, there were some '86.5 models, but most are '87-88 and even '89 in Canada. If somebody swapped a 16v engine, hopefully, it is a 2L.

Reply to
Saintor

The 16V did happen overseas before it happened here (not sure how much earlier though) and 1984's range in the US definitely didn't include 16V models. There was a Wolfsburg Edition though and it may have been trimmed in a manner that may have resembled a 16V.

-Matt

Reply to
Matt B.

Not sure about what years got which engines, but I know that the Scirocco used:

1.8 litre, 8 valve 1.8 litre, 16 valve 2.0 litre, 8 valve As far as I can tell, the 2.0 litre, 16 valve (found in the 1992 GTi) was never avaliable in a Scirocco. Oettinger made a kit at one point in the early 1980s that converted the 1.8 litre, 8 valve engine to a 16 valve head, but try finding one of those kits! I'd like a late-production model (like an 87') Scirocco to do a 2.0 16v transplant with, but I don't have the money.
Reply to
Steve Grauman