Screws on a 98 Golf

Hi,

This might be a stupid question........

Are the screw heads used in a Golf different to normal screws? and if so, why?

The screw heads are star shaped (6 small points as opposed to the normal larger 4) and normal screwdrivers don't fit in the holes. So how do I undo the screws?

Maybe germany has different screwdrivers to australia?? i dont know.

Thanks

John

Reply to
John

They are called Torx and as to why they are used???

Reply to
Woodchuck

Torx screws. Don't know why VW used them.

Just get a Torx screwdriver. Or you sometimes can use a small flat-blade screwdriver too (depends on the width of the blade) that usually will be able to bite into two of the six corners if it's the right size.

Reply to
Matt B.

Buy a Torx set of screwdrivers, think of it as buying that set of metric sockets and drivers if you are American.... why use metric when imperial is good enough?.... (that is obvious, because metric is better :-)... but same deal).... many cars seem to use Torx, my parents' Volvo has Torx screws everywhere on it... seems like a decent design, Robertson (4 sides) is more for wood screws, philips seems for assembly (and is the stupidist design this side of slot because the heads ALWAYS slip... even with the correct size) and slot... OLD wood screws, I hate slot.. I use slot drivers only to pry things open. I think Allen keys are the way to go personally, mainly because when the driver starts to round down all you have to do is grind off the 2-3mm and you have a new bit basically.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Torx screws are great for mass production assembly because they don't easily fall out of the tool. They're also great for removal later on because they don't easily strip--far better at this than allen wrench screws.

Reply to
Bob Hetzel

Pete,

Thanks mate, i'll drop by supercheap and get myself a set this week.

John

Reply to
John