Secondary air pump redux

Long story short:

2000 1.8T Passat 58,000 mi 4th air pump fails within 12mo/12K warrantee period which dealer (Clear Lake VW, Houston) refuses to honor. because of water in pump. Svc Mgr (Lars) I am told that according to Tech gurus at VW of A that problem can't be defective Combi Valve in spite of much evidence to the contrary*. (VWof A as a policy disregards internet inormation) Lars technical explanation is that water "splashes in" and "gets in for outside"

Question: A used pump can be bought for $150, how difficult is it to install and will the dreaded "Emissions Workshop" disappear?

Thanks WVK

----------------------

*"2000 1.8T with 68,000 has had 3 replacement pumps an now needing a 4th. Current one has lasted only 10, 000 mi. Is this normal?

No it's not normal! The common MISTAKE made by the repair person isn't replacing the combi valve on the cylinder head too. What happens is the valve hangs open some and condensation (water) from combustion get forced back into the pump causing a failure. Or the pump suction line is cracked/broken and pulling water in from rain, snow, etc!

The service Mgr is telling me that I must be driving though high water (which I haven't) which ruins the low mounted pump. Is that explanation plausable?

only if you drive through 12" deep water. But then again the pump is sealed well. I stand by my first idea, if none of the plastic lines are cracked and seal well, especially at the pump... then it's the combi valve."

From the pump manufacturer:

"In the case of a failed secondary air pump, the actual cause is frequently not found in the pump itself but instead in a sticking non-return valve between secondary air pump & exhaust manifold for example. For this reason in the case of a failure all components togeather must be checked"

"At the first sign of trouble, the combi valve should have been replaced. When they go bad, they leak exhaust and condensation into the pump, which ruins it. The combi valve is a one way vacuum operated valve, if water gets in the pump, the hose between the air filter box and pump is broke or the combi valve is leaking...any mechanic should know this."

"Do yourself a favor, replace the combi valve. The ONLY way water can get in there is from the combi valve. The only other way in is the air intake in the engine air filter box, water in there and the last thing you have to worry about is the sap pump!"

The sap sucks air from the CLEAN side of the air filter box.So the mechanic (if he really is one) thinks there is water after the engine air filter? I would have lauged at him to his face. If the hose is intact, water should not be able to get in the pump that way. No wonder so many people have problems, since the people fixing the cars are so off base..".

WVK