seek to buy Jetta

I want to buy a 2004 Jetta. Automatic, probably GL model, and prefer silver color. Can you tell me what is the best price? I am in Northern California. Any advise where to buy the best price? Thank you.

Reply to
ay

Best price! Just shop around at various VW dealers...

Reply to
Woodchuck

Oh, we went to Sunnyvale VW in El Camino Real. They started quota at $25000. Their salesmen then started talking, talking, change salesmen, talk some more, drop the price by $2000 every hour we were there. Test drive. After over 4 hours, their final price was $155000. I just want to see what price they want to sell. What a wasted of time. I would never buy from this kind of salesman.

Reply to
ay

Best price, wait six months. Some dealer is bound to want to sell some leftover 2004's. February '04, best deal I ever got on a new car. '03 Jetta GLI. MSRP over $25k. They also had other models, seemed to be either loaded or basic. I spotted their deals on a web advertisement, but it was simply a copy of a weekend paper ad. OTD

Reply to
sheinrich

The best prices are always in the local newspaper. for example, Jetta GL at $13500. But its always a stick shift, a loss leader and ad only.

Reply to
ay

The best place to start is at

where you can find out the invoice price and what most people are paying. You should definitely be able to buy what you want for no more than $400 over invoice and you can probably do better...especially since the 05s will be here soon. By the way, have you driven the 1.8T? Don't do it because if you do you won't want the 2.0 anymore. And if you can get a good deal on a Passat you might look at it. For just a few thousand more, the Passat is a much nicer car than the Jetta and more reliable, too.

Reply to
William Maslin

Well, edmunds.com only shows GLS invoice at $20K. It does not show GL. What is the difference between 1.8T and 2.0? I believe turbo will cause too much problem for long term high mileage daily commute.

Buy, if I buy a new car at over $20K, I might as well add a few thousands more and get the small Mercedes. I do aware VW has quite a few black marks in consumer report. In fact, most VW are listed in the consumer report NOT recommended list.

Reply to
ay