sensors on oil filter housing, 95 VR6 passat

Hi,

I have recently had a few stray oil pressure warning buzzers go off on my 95 passat VR6. The dealership checked the pressure and everything is up to spec... they said to change to a heavier oil and it would go away. I still get these warnings occasionally after a long drive.

Next, I checked the sensor on the oil filter housing. To my surprise, there was two sensors on the housing. One of them is leaking oil out the top at the connector... I am presuming that this could be causing a pressure drop and giving me these warnings. I know that the one on the left-most side of the car is an oil pressure sensor (it has a pressure spec on it)... Anyone agree?

What is the other sensor? Is it a temp sensor? It is this mysterious one that is leaking...

I hear that there is two sensors... Anyone know where the other is located?

Adam S

Reply to
stag5353

Both are for oil PSI and each has a different PSI rating. Low PSI for under

2000rpm & hi pressure for above 2000rpm... just replace both.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Dumb question but I'll ask anyway. Do you need to drain the oil (as if you were changing the oil) when you are changing the sensor (will oil come out) or is most/all of the oil pretty much in the sump if the car has been sitting a while? Just wondering how messy this might end up being...?

Reply to
Matt B.

No mess when I removed them... not easy to get the little buggers out though. Maybe just my big farmer hands, but I wound up having to weld a little arm onto an old socket to get them out...

Reply to
stag5353

More blither, proving that dealerships are not intrinsically any more reliable nor knowledgeable than the average jakeleg mechanic.

Reply to
<HLS

They make special sockets for these sensors. They are not VW specific so they are not too hard to find. As mentioned they can be a bear to get out sometimes.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo