Shakes

Please help!!! I have a 2001 Cabrio. Two months ago I had my car inspected and complained that it was shaking when I drived it. I had an alignment done and the rotors resurfaced. After, about a month I toke the car back to the same place that did the orginal work and complained of the same shakes but it feels worse then before. So it was suggested to get new tires which I did. I still feel the shaking but it only happens when I go over 55mph and I am starting to feel uncomfortable to drive it. Does anyone know what it could be ??? I was thinking the rotors were not resurfaced correctly. Also, is this a expensive problem??? I have already spent almost a $1,000 on this problem. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Princess418

Nathan Lucas

Resurfacing rotors is a bad idea, if they are truly "warped", the best thing to do is replace both the rotors and pads and properly break them in. "Warping" is caused by allowing the pads to touch the rotor when its not spinning when the rotor is hot. In otherwords, if you have to stop hard try to avoid coming to a complete stop. The rotors are not going to cause the car to shake if the brakes aren't applied. Also, you should make sure that all nug bolts are properly torqued, 80 ft lbs is good. I suppose its conceivable a dragging brake could also cause shaking, but thats less likely.

There are a large number of possible problems, some of which could be very hazardous, others could be non-critical. The cost to repair completely depends on the problem, but they could include:

1) Worn out suspension components (ball joints, tie rod ends, strut bearings) 2) Improperly torqued bolts/nuts on suspension components 3) Improperly torqued lug bolts 4) Defective tire 5) Defective wheel 6) Improperly balanced tire/wheel assembly 7) Improper alignment 8) Car is not straight (should be detectable when they do an alignment)

It shouldn't be hard to find the problem, maybe you need to find a better mechanic. Usually, if the problem is simply a vibration at high speed its tires, wheels, balance or improperly torqued lug bolts.

dan

Reply to
who_me

Reply to
Rob Guenther

"who_me" wrote: > Princess418 wrote: > > Please help!!! I have a 2001 Cabrio. Two months ago I had > my car > > inspected and complained that it was shaking when I drived > it. I had > > an alignment done and the rotors resurfaced. After, about a > month I > > toke the car back to the same place that did the orginal > work and > > complained of the same shakes but it feels worse then > before. So it > > was suggested to get new tires which I did. I still feel > the shaking > > but it only happens when I go over 55mph and I am starting > to feel > > uncomfortable to drive it. Does anyone know what it could > be ??? I > > was thinking the rotors were not resurfaced correctly. > Also, is this > > a expensive problem??? I have already spent almost a $1,000 > on this > > problem. Thanks for your help. > > Resurfacing rotors is a bad idea, if they are truly "warped", > the best > thing to do is replace both the rotors and pads and properly > break them > in. "Warping" is caused by allowing the pads to touch the > rotor when > its not spinning when the rotor is hot. In otherwords, if you > have to > stop hard try to avoid coming to a complete stop. The rotors > are not > going to cause the car to shake if the brakes aren't applied. > Also, > you should make sure that all nug bolts are properly torqued, > 80 ft lbs > is good. I suppose its conceivable a dragging brake could > also cause > shaking, but thats less likely. > > There are a large number of possible problems, some of which > could be very > hazardous, others could be non-critical. The cost to repair > completely > depends on the problem, but they could include: > > 1) Worn out suspension components (ball joints, tie rod ends, > strut bearings) > 2) Improperly torqued bolts/nuts on suspension components > 3) Improperly torqued lug bolts > 4) Defective tire > 5) Defective wheel > 6) Improperly balanced tire/wheel assembly > 7) Improper alignment > 8) Car is not straight (should be detectable when they do an > alignment) > > It shouldn't be hard to find the problem, maybe you need to > find a better > mechanic. Usually, if the problem is simply a vibration at > high speed > its tires, wheels, balance or improperly torqued lug bolts. > > dan

does improper torque cause a further problem besides shaking? I have similar problem and jus beginning to look into it. I had a flat tire and found out I couldn?t get the tire off because it was put on too tightly. Have been a little nervous that this has caused another problem.

Reply to
72yellow