Shock looking thing engine compartment

This is an 87 Jetta.

On the right (passenger) side of the engine attached to the compartment wall, there is this shock looking thing (but smaller) that goes from the wall and looks like it goes down to the rear motor mount.

What is it called?

What's it do?

How do I tell if it's good?

Could it be what's causing the jerking in first and second gear that goes away at higher, 3k or better RPM? If it's bad.

Oh and why can't I find it in the manual?

Thanks in advance Jim

Reply to
jim

It's a damper informally known as the "hop kit". You can't find it in the manual because it was a retrofitted item and not originally part of the A2's design.

Early A2 VWs had issue with the engine and transmission literally bouncing on their mounts in a harmonious manner with the road surface (e.g.: freeway expansion joints). Before the mounts were redesigned, the damper was added as a fix to the earlier cars. I defninitely wouldn't remove it lest you make a bad situation worse.

If it's bad, the engine might start hopping about as if it weren't there, but I think I'd first check your other engine mounts and then if they're good then entertain the idea of replacing the damper.

Reply to
Matt B.

Matt

Thanks that helps.

Jim

Reply to
jim

I'm forgetting his name right at the moment but I do believe a (former?) newsgroup guy was instrumental in getting VWoA to retrofit these 'Hop Kits' to the then new VWs.

Anybody want to help me with the failing memory?

I learned a lot from this dude over the years.

TBerk

Randy Walters.

Reply to
Brandon Sommerville

newsgroup guy was instrumental in getting VWoA to retrofit

Yep...that's him.

Reply to
Matt B.