Should i buy out the lease on my 02 golf TDI 5 spd?

Canadian 02 Golf TDI with 160 000 Km's on it. its a company car that has been well maintained but driven hard. 5spd so no automatic worries and it has a new clutch although I've burned up the 2nd and 3rd gear synchros pretty much. In any case I'm wondering if its good buy at 11K buyout as I've heard that injection pumps are problematic around 200K so I'm a bit leery about having to shell out 2G for a pump plus labour. I love the car otherwise and now understand why VW has a loyal following and they aren't just for poseurs.

Thanks to those who can shed light as to what I can expect to have to pay for future repairs or maintenance.

Reply to
David Cole

If you have never used additives for your diesel fuel... then you might need a pump at some point... but if you've been using Sunoco diesel then you might be okay (my VW dealer says this is the only fuel they know of in Canada that doesn't really need the additives - friend of mine who's family operates diesel dump trucks says the same thing).

Bad synchro's... sounds expensive...

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I've never leased a car, and never will. Unless you intend to get rid of it in a very short time, don't lease. It will cost you a LOT more than just financing it in the first place.

As for repairs, my car is 10 years old. I bought it new, the mileage is

120,000, and it was completely paid off a long time ago, so there are no monthly payments except for the occasional repair.

So I suggest that you bite the bullet, return your car when the lease expires, and then buy (don't lease) something that can be paid off in 3 years or less. That way you will soon have a paid-for car with ownership value.

Reply to
Papa

Can you comment ? Which additives do you recommend ?

Thks

Reply to
Hans

Oops. I thought that you were talking about a car that you yourself had leased, not a company-leased car. If it has been well-maintained (as most company cars usually are), and you can buy it for a reasonable price, go for it. You might use Edmunds to compare prices.

Reply to
Papa

I've used the VW additive, but now, at the recommendation of my friend I am using Howes diesel treatment.

The additives add lubricity and protective c>

Reply to
Rob Guenther