silly bulb replacement question

96 Golf GL needs rear brake bulb replacement. According to the owners manual this is done from the inside but the interior liner in the area seems to be be quite permanently attached. There are a couple of clips but in other places the liner seems to be anchored underneath brackets and even sewn down. Can someone please explain how I can remove the liner easily because it isn't obvious to me.

RHL

Reply to
Roger Levy

there should be some plastic screws with allen type head that secure the liner . Good luck getting them back in , not an easy task.

Reply to
John

Are they screws or clips? I put an allen wrench on them and they just turn without loosening. I don't want to ruin them by prying if they're actually screws -- my wife loves this little car and in 8 years (only

45K) the only other significant problem has been the molding strips falling off. BTW it really does look like the screws/clips are not the only thing holding the liner in place.

RHL

John wrote:

Reply to
Roger Levy

Is the liner somewhat loose at the top? My Golf confused me initially. I reach in from the top around the liner, and pinch two plastic tabs that lets the plastic assembly pull away. I slide the assembly out of the top (still tethered by wires). Replace the bulbs.

The clips from memory are on approximately the middle (vertically) outside edge of the plastic, if I remember.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

On second thought, maybe it was not tethered. Been a while.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Reply to
Rob Guenther

You have to pull those little round "buttons" off here and there and then bend/flex/untuck the lining until you can get at the tail light assembly. It's scary at first because you think you're going to ruin the lining, but you can do it. The little buttons come off fairly easily without destroying themselves. Just pry them off.

Actually, it would be best to replace all the bulbs while you're in there as I can guarantee that another one will be blown within a year. BTDT.

Now the little buttons on that plastic strip under the windshield...man I can't figure out HOW to get those little rascals out!

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02
Reply to
William Maslin

Reply to
Roger Levy