silly timing question (how-to)

If it's standard shift there's a plastic cap on the top of the bell housing. The there's marks on the flywheel and a pointer. You may need to unscrew the outer plastic part to see the pointer.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Ok, this seems so silly. I normally work only on Air-cooled...but the daughter's home from college. I went to replace her cap and rotoron her '90 Jetta GL (1800 engine), and wound up dropping a piece of something into the distributor. Long story short...I had to take the whole thing out to shake the silly thing out. Now I realize I have no tune-up data, and can't find a mark on a pulley to save my life anyway. So...how do we set timing on a 1990 Jetta? It's 40 miles to the nearest auto parts store, so I'd hate to have to travel all that way just to buy a book today. Any help is deeply appreciated.

Reply to
Glenn Roesener

And you don't do it at idle either unlike most cars. That '90 Jetta (if it's not a 16V) is probably Digifant. You need to set the timing at about

2500rpm so have someone in the car keeping up the RPMs for you.
Reply to
Matt B.

This Is how I know to do it if it a digifant fuel system:

Warm car to operating temp, unplug blue coolant temp sensor at the top of the block , rev car three times past 3000 rpm to clear computer, maintain

2500 rpm while viewing mark on the bell housing after removing green inspection cover, set timing to +6 deg mark , plug sensor back in and you're done .
Reply to
John