Slow leak cooling system (radiator - water pump - expansion tank) Jetta

Problem Slow leak cooling system (radiator - water pump - expansion tank)

Starting out - the coolant in the expansion tank is full After highway driving the coolant in the expansion tank (up top) is down half way When I take the expansion tank cap off the expansion tank the coolant level returns to the full mark on the expansion tank.

Eventually, after a couple of days the coolant level falls low enough to trigger the dash-board light

I have not yet identified a point where the leak is.

Question Does anyone know what is happening/the problem in the cooling system or where the leak might-be ?

Model: 1989 Jetta Carat 1.8 Liters (engine displacement liters (1780 cc)

Vehicle Model # RB1G Vehicle Type 4S Engine Type SOHC Engine code PF Engine Series (ID/VIN) 105 hp@ 5400 rpm with A/C Fuel system Digifant II Digital Electronic Fuel Injection Manufacture Date 11/88 Model Year 1989 Transmission Automatic 3 speed / air conditioning Volkswagen AG West Germany Wolfsburg Car number 266,124 Manufacturer make Europe passenger Car Body Style 4 door Sedan (upgrade)

Reply to
bo_ku

nice -- no lets say GREAT job on providing vehicle info- my 89 was a little stubborn getting the level to stay between it's hot / cold levels. After a few tries, it did , it has been fine for over a year. Have you looked for things like damp rugs with the coolant smell? looked for fine mist sprays while the engine is warm and running? i take it you 've watched for puddles after it been sitting. if you don't find any evidence of coolant remains you're looking at a internal to the engine leak - could be a failed head gasket or a crack in the head. does the exhaust smell sweet? White smoke out of the exhaust more than the usual cold damp morning smoke? oil in the coolant? coolant in the oil?

Reply to
samstone

Does your system hold pressure? If not you might want to replace the cap anyway.

Look at the bottom of the water pump carefully. Might be a leak only when the engine is running but it should also leave residue by the shaft or the weep hole if applicable.

I had to replace the head gasket on my '83 1.8L engine. There was a small crack that allowed coolant to slightly leak out of the front of the engine by the timing belt. Leak eventually started to get worse.

Yours might also have a plastic coolant outlet (or two of them) on the cylinder head. These sometimes deteriorate, change to an oval shape on the inside and start to leak. You might have to pressurize the cooling system to get things to leak. Should be easy to do with a tire valve stem, bicycle pump, hose, bolt and a few small hose clamps. Disconnect the little hose to the coolant bottle and install the tire valve stem inside of the hose. You might have to trim the stem to fit leaving it somewhat larger on the end you insert in the hose and clamp it tight. Then use some hose to fit the coolant bottle nipple, stick a bolt in the hose and clamp both areas. (The fat section of the valve stem properly clamp should keep it inside of the hose. Then just pump up the bicycle pump after you connect it. You might be pumping for awhile! If you develop too much pressure the cap should kick any excess pressure out.

To release pressure hold the valve stem up high and push in the valve. You are trying to release pressure without getting a shower of coolant. ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

My 1991 Golf was consuming coolant regularly starting a year or two ago.

Didn't notice any leak at first so I assumed it was a bad head gasket. Then I saw coolant dripping heavily from the water pump one day in a parking lot, about 6 months ago. That's a frightening scene.

After I replaced the water pump I was back to consuming just a little coolant, so I thought...yeah water pump was definitely bad, but I probably still need a head gasket.

Not seeing any drips again until a month ago when I noticed tiny wet marks on the driveway under the radiator. Could easily have been condensation dripping down in those areas. Then I noticed the stains getting bigger.

Yep, bad radiator. Was tough to spot without the driveway stains, because it was probably doing most of the leaking when the engine was hot and the cooling system under pressure.

You know, if your radiator is over 8 years old it's probably a good idea to replace it anyway (only $80). All of the hoses too. And the water pump (only $30). Cheap insurance.

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them