Slow wiper 2.0L 01 Jetta auto

Hi, We have the vehicle noted above, now the wipers work but they are slow when they are turned on fast. They work a little faster when turned to fast from slow but not by much. Anyone ever have this problem? Any suggestions? I have a Bentley and a Haynes. Are the wipers about to stop? Is this an indication the motor is about to go? Thank you in advance, Dermott

Reply to
Diarmud387

Try the wipers with the blades off of the windshield to see if they speed up. If not then you may have a 'pivot' (where the wiper arms attach) problem or a motor problem if the wiring is supplying full power and ground under load. You may want to take the whole wiper mechanism out of the vehicle and disconnect the motor from the wiper transmission to see if the pivots freely rotate. If they do then suspect the motor going bad. I have seen bad linkages and even a motor that had become detached from the linkages and I have seen bad pivots on the older vehicles but not on the A3s yet. So I kinda think it is your motor. :-(

later, dave (One out of many Daves)

Reply to
dave

Take the arms off and lube up all the pivots in the wiper linkage well. Also make sure that both caps are in place on the wiper arms otherwise water will get down in there and corrode the pivots.

good luck

nate

Reply to
N8N

Thank you both for your help. I have a Bentley and attempted to remove the wiper arms. The plastic covers were intact but after taking the plastic cover off the wiper arm and removing the nut that holds the wiper arm on, I saw plenty of rust. Can't get the arm off but have sprayed it with penetrating oil and whacked it a few times. Will leave it a few days and try to remove the arm again.

Thanks again for your help, Dermott

Reply to
Diarmud387

You have to rock the base of the wiper arm off of the shaft. Just keep wiggling the arm while pulling it and it will come off. ;-)

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
Diarmud387

Thanks to all, Dave, you were right, I rocked it a little and they came off! Problem solved, Thanks again, Dermott

Reply to
Diarmud387