sluggish on start up

2001 jetta 2.0 turbo after initial start up the car runns real rough for a few minutes then runs great. as normal it had codes indicating everythin under the hood bad, I replaced plugs and air cleaner and it ran great for a week then same problem. checked codes again and all it indicated was misfire on all 4 cylinders. Clear again and seems to run fine, Has anyone seen this problem before?
Reply to
Kafertoys

are you sure that this is a 2.0 turbo engine? I am thinking a stock 2.0l or 1.8t or ???

posting the DTCs is a good idea so correct answers can be given. Did you use the correct spark plugs since that could cause problems. USE THE SAME AS WHAT THE DEALER USES!!! None of that aftermarket stuff that "fits"!

The 2.0l could have a bad ign coilpack AND they go bad. Test by misting with water while the engine is running. Or the spark plug wires. Or a vacuum leak.

The 1.8t could have wiring issues since I doubt that all coils are bad and then good again. Coolant Temperature sensor is a known problem too!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

My mistake it is a 1.8 turbo

Reply to
Kafertoys

try a new fuel pump relay

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Weeeelllllll.... unlikely............ BUT:

As this is on start-up, could be moisture in these coils causing the initial misfire condition. Is my dim-and-limited memory correct in that there was a bad run of these things at some point with hefty recalls or TSBs? I seem to remember this happening right around this year, even?

This would about cover the symptoms as on a cool, dry morning perhaps no problems, but a damp morning perhaps otherwise. And the running temperature would be hot enough to eliminate the problem after initial warm-up.

Just a random (mis)firing of neurons....

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Well I don't see too many 1.8t engines with problems. I think I have had to change one ign coil on a 2004 Passat, but the other 7-8 that I work on have not had any of these types of problems. Well I did have to replace the ign module on an early 1999 (lost #2 spark).

I don't see the moisture affect these types of coils! BUT maybe so. ;-)

Coolant temperature sensor, MAF sensor, spark plugs or ???? OP should look here for more troubleshooting ideas

dave AKA vwdoc1