Smoke coming out of steering wheel

I have a '98 GTI VR6.

Today, about 4 hours into a drive (windy country roads at 40 to 80 mph, if that would make a difference), I suddenly saw a puff of smoke come out of the steering wheel, just behind the wheel where the wheel, signal and wiper sticks and the emergency lights come together. It was just one puff, white, looked like what comes out of the burning end of cigarettes. It did not have a particular smell. Nothing in the area felt hot just after, and neither there was a smell of something burning. I immediately stopped to investigate, and went on my way after seeing or smelling nothing burning. About 30 minutes later, it happened again, the same thing. Then I drove about 4 more hours without any more smoke.

At first I thought it looked like what happens when electrical capacitors blow up, but those usually have a yellow tinge.

Would anybody have any idea what this might be?

Rex

Reply to
Rex Vincere

Your GTI, after 4 hours of driving, had it's "After Sex" cigarette...

:0)

Reply to
Peter Parker

Rex,

Do a search on the news group for this (or maybe over on vwvortex.com 's forums). I have seen posts on this one or the other place. Apparently it is pretty common for hair an dust to burn up when it hits some contact under that steering column cover. This happened to me last winter when driving to go skiing. There have been no after effects, and it hasn't happened again.

ccp

Reply to
ccp

Check the color of the powder that's in the airbag. I believe you need to have this checked.

Good luck.

Reply to
Dermott

I thought of that too because of no burning smell. I'm afraid I will need to take along a vat of KY if I go to a shop with something as vague as "smoke coming out of the wheel".

Reply to
Rex Vincere