So I Bought an OBD Code Reader... MAF Advice, Please

Thanks to all for the advice regarding OBD code readers. Went into the local Auto Zone at lunch today and planned just to see what they had, and it turns out their cheapest one is on sale for $79. Got one, hooked it up, read the codes, and they came back, "Your MAF is on the fritz," "your fuel mixture is too lean," and "your coolant temperature circuit is sending a high voltage."

I can recall seeing some discussion of MAFs here, particularly how sensitive they are.

Can they be cleaned/rehabbed somehow, or once they go, are they junk? Are they ungodly expensive? Are they difficult to replace? Do y'all have any general comments or advice for me on the topic of MAFs?

Thanks.

Reply to
Brian Running

What year/mileage on your vehicle? I received a letter from VW that they're extending the warrentys on at least the 99-01's to 7 yr/70K miles for the MAF. I paid $175 for mine online and was later reimbursed by VW. Piece of cake to replace at least on the VR6. I tried cleaning it first with electrical cleaner with no luck.

Reply to
Dino

'Spose I should have mentioned that it's an '01 Jetta with the 2.0 engine and about 49,000 miles on 'er. I've heard elsewhere that this might be covered under warranty -- worse comes to worst, it's a $48 part, so it's not the end of the world, I guess.

Reply to
Brian Running