So much for good VW mechanics in DC....

Rainer Inc. in Adelphi MD is now called Auto Boys - Rainer retired after a lot of years of good service to the community. I wish I could say his successors are doing a good job but I honestly don't think I can.

Yesterday I took my 91 Jetta in for a tuneup and oil change. They didn't do the valve cover gasket like they always used to, but the new service guy there did note that the alternator was a bit noisy. I asked him if it was serious enough to fix now and he said it would probably be okay.

It was late and I really didn't want to leave the car overnight so I believed him. BIG Mistake. On the way home the battery light goes on, steady. When I got the car home and popped the hood I noticed that the alternator belt had been disconnected - gone. It could have come loose on the drive home but somehow I doubt it because I would have heard something if it had.

This is either a case of negligence or a deliberate attempt to rip me off, and I'm inclined to believe the latter. It goes without saying that these people will never get my business again.

(BIG Mistake #2 - I paid in cash.)

gbk/ubp

Reply to
Geff King

FWIW, I had an alternator belt come off of my '86 Jetta once, and other than the light coming on, there was no indication (bang, thunk, sqeal, etc.) of anything happening. The belt was gone without a trace.

If the belt had been removed at the shop, the light would've come on and stayed on as soon as you started the car.

I'd at least give him the opportunity to explain it and make it good.

Even the best mechanics make mistakes or do things in a hurry. His reaction/response to the problem will be a good indicator of whether he deserves any future business IMHO.

Good luck, Craig

Reply to
Craig Faison

Good idea. I admit I was pretty suspicious given the issue raised with the alternator, and a bit biased given the changes in management. The car is now at our old mechanic's (nearer home) who does the A/C work (Auto Boys doesn't.) He just replaced all the belts, which had not been done since I bought the car in 2001. We'll see.

GBK

Reply to
Geff King

Paul's Volkswagon on rt236 seems good. Not perfect, but good.

of years of

good job but I

Reply to
sheinrich

You might as well have brought it to a dealer. (haha) We all know that VW dealers are thieves. I wish I had never bought my VW based on my customer service with the VW Dealer and VOA. All liars. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go to Springfiled VW. I think they hire mechanics fresh off the streets. Took my wifes 2001 Jetta TDI back 4 times after they replaced the timing belt. ($900) !st time the turbo didn't work because they forgot to put back some vaccuum hoses. The other 3 times the car would die at about 2500 rpm. They said the timing was in spec. I set the timing, took me 5 minutes, car runs great. They lied, said car was ready 2 times when it wasn't. Screw VW, never another one.

Reply to
jj