some days it smokes, some days not?????

89 Jetta GLI 22X,000 miles on it. Why would it smoke bad on some days and not on others??

Also, any harm in running straight 50 wt oil during hot weather on this loose, old, engine??

tia! Lou

Reply to
DFRee

all i know is thats a whole lotta miles for a 16v...bout time for a rebuild lol

Reply to
Mortal_Wombat

My experince where I live is that VW engines are not very worn at

200,000 miles. A valve job and they will keep go>89 Jetta GLI 22X,000 miles on it. Why would it smoke bad on some days and

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

This could be an intermittent seal leak...valve seals, maybe headgasket? I'd suspect the head before the block on these engines.

Bruce

Reply to
B. Skelton

Stick w/ 20w50 oil. It's better to fix the underlying problem than to keep applying a fix to the symptoms. It'll just continue to get worse if you don't attend to it.

Get a wet/dry compression test. It'll show if you have leaky valves/rings.

btw- under what conditions does it smoke, and what _color_ is the smoke?

Blue or Black?

TBerk

WHAT COLOR IT IS SMOKING WHEN IT DOES From VWsport.com NNTP Gateway

Reply to
vwjowo