Speed Sensor 98 Golf

My sister's 98 Golf 2.0 automatic currently has a non-working speedometer/odometer. A friend hooked it up to VAG-Com and said it wasn't showing any speed thru VAG-COm either, which he says means the "speed sensor" is most likely bad.

I spoke with the dealer, and they indicated there is a speed sensor on top of the transmission (i think it is right under the battery tray) and another "sensor" that is mounted on top of some plastic gears that go down into the final drive/tranny. This latter one looks like an old time speedo pickup, and the sensor converts the signal to an electrical impulse (I am guessing that is how it works).

Any theories on which of these sensors is most likely to cause a dead speedo? Any other suggestions as to what should be checked?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Reply to
Tony Bad

The speed sensor is located just below the brake booster. The ones in the front near the battery are only for the trans TCM.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Is it mounted on the transmission or on the firewall?

What would I ask dealer for? I asked them for speed sensor and they told me about one I described in prior post...mounted on top of some plastic gears on top of transmission/final drive.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Tony Bad

Another question...are there any fuses or relays associated with speedometer/odometer function?

Thanks

Tony

Reply to
Tony Bad

It's on the trans with 3 pin black connector. It's kinda between the booster and exhaust manifold area and there may be a foil covering to protect it from the heat. Don't think it has it's own fuse, and no replays.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Thanks again for the reply.

I swapped the sensor with one from the exact car, but speedo is still dead. Didn't have a chance to hook VAG up again, but my guess is it is still throwing same code (16885 - VSS Implausible Signal).

I am guessing I now need to start looking deeper. The plastic gearing looked good, but maybe I'll try spinning them out of engine to see if I get a signal. I really was hoping in was not a instrument cluster issue, but I guess that is the direction I'm heading.

Reply to
Tony Bad