speedometer wire

Is there a trick to taking out the speedometer wire w/o remove the dash? jetta A2 1.8 8 valve manuel transaxle 5 speed

Reply to
MarioS

You don't have to remove the entire dash, but I don't think there is any way around taking out the instrument cluster and bezel.

The bezel around the cluster needs to come out first. Pull off the knobs on the climate control (fan knob stays in place, the two there ones need to come off). Pull out the face plate of the climate control unit. Then pry off the bezel. On Golf it is held in place by clips, on Jetta it is mounted with screws.

The cluster is held >

Reply to
Randolph

tank you randolph

Reply to
MarioS

Having the same car, I could disconnect/connect from underneath the dash. The underdash cover needs to be removed first, then you put yourself in that familiar upsidedown position on the seat with your head on the floor and reach up under the dash. Follow the speedo cable to the dash and push the plastic lever to release the catch (Having eyes at this point is useless, its all by feel). Now it is free.

Reply to
Rick De Visser