Squeaky Fan belt or ?

'93 Jetta GL, 135K km.

My fan belt is making squeaky noises at on cold (10 C) start at the alternator. I sprayed on some belt condiitioner which made it really nice and sticky but the sound did not go away.

I don't recall how old the belt is but I can easily read what is printed on it; the alternator is original.

The squeaking goes away when the belt is warm which makes me think that the belt is the problem regardless of how sticky it is.

Does the belt need replacing or is this squeaky noise a symptom of something else?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Richard Potato

Alec